Dosing A 5 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Dosing A 5 Gallon

I'm starting up a 5 gallon tank and have just been figuring out dosing using the EI method. I have checked the values on APC Fertilator and Chuck's Calculator and came up with the following plan:

Day 1: 50% water change and add 1/32 TBSP KNO3, 1/64 TBSP K2SO4, 1/2 mL Phosphate Solution, and 1 mL Flourish
Day 2: Nothing
Day 3: Same as Day 1 but without water change
Day 4: Nothing
Day 5: Same as Day 3
Day 6: Nothing
Day 7: Same as Day 3

The above amounts will add this much every other day:
N- 16 ppm
P- 2 ppm
K- 17 ppm
Iron: 0.17 ppm

CO2: DIY 2 Liter Yeast Mix diffused through Hagen Ladder

Does all this sound correct? In such a small tank I know the wrong amounts and bad calculations will have a really bad affect, so I wanted to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
We had started a 2.5g and had wondered the same thing. We do EI on our 50 which has worked great, but didn't like taking the ferts over to the 2.5. We just mixed up 2 stock solutions. One with KNO3, K2SO4, & KH2PO4, the other with CSM+B+extra Fe, both 500ml bottles. We dose 1ml a day. We use two stock solutions because I read that phosphates and CSM+B tend to precipitate.

If you do go with the EI, your nitrates are pretty high. I'd aim for around 10ppm.

Brian
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If you do go with the EI, your nitrates are pretty high. I'd aim for around 10ppm.
One thing I should have added is that this will be a non-fish tank, at least for a while, so trhe KNO3 is the only source of N. Also, I will have lots of java ferns which I hear will soak up Nitrates really fast. Plus I have nothing to measure enough KNO3 to get around 10 ppm, its either 16 or 8 and with my experience with my other tank (with N around 20 ppm) there isn't really a problem with the extra nitrates.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Keep this thread going!! I'm thinking about bringing an old 2.5 g tank to work...but would have no clue how to dose it (bigger tanks are a lot easier!!).

I suppose DIY co2 with an aquaclear mini? Or I may just use Fl excel.

Re-boot!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I do DIY CO2 with a submersible mini in my 2.5. Works great.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 PM

How much light is over this tank? I have a 5gallon with a single 10watt power compact screw-in bulb, and all I dose is a little Excel and Flourish once a week. My java ferns, crypts and anubias all look great.
Tank only holds 1 male betta. I don't even test parameters, just do water changes, and my little dosing.
I have to question if this tank can actually use 16ppm of nitrate every other day, or 2ppm of phosphate. Hell my 75gallon high-light, pressurized setup doesn't go through nutrients that fast!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My tank has a 19 watt power compact screw-in bulb (6500K) over it, so there is a good amount of light. The reason I've gone with 2 ppm of Phosphate on this tank and my other tank is I've heard that Anubias like higher P levels:

Quote from APC Plant Finder:
"It [Anubias Nana] does well with or without CO2, although CO2 addition does promote faster growth as does a rich substrate and removal of the older leaves. High phosphate levels (1.5-2 ppm) seem to encourage flowering in this species regardless of tank conditions or the health of the plant. These high phosphate levels, along with heavy iron and trace fertilization, reduce spot algae problems for plants directly under high light. Relocating the plant to a shaded area is another solution. "

I've also heard that Java Ferns soak up Nirtates like crazy, and I've actually had experience with this part. For the most part this tank will be a growout tank at least for a while.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I set up two small tanks for my wife and her coworker to keep in the office. One is a 1g vase tank, the other is a 2.5g AGA. The vase has a 7w RedSea vase light over it and the 2.5 has a 13w vase light. Both are filtered with RedSea nano HOB filters.

The vase has some Java Fern, Anubias petite nana, and H. micranthemoides. Fauna is 2 Cherry Red shrimp and one Scarlet Badis. The 2.5 has Java Fern, Anubias petite nana, H. micranthemoides, a small C. wendtii, and some Marselia. Fauna is 6 Green Neons.

Dosing for both is with PPS. I have my wife dose 1 drop each of the PPS-Standard solution, TMG and Excel every other day. For the 2.5g tank I have her dose the same amount but every day. She does partial water changes on Mondays and Fridays (probably overkill, but better safe than sorry).

The tanks have been up for a couple of months now and are doing well (according to my wife since I haven't been back to see them since I set them up for her).

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Bill, I thought your wife couldn't understand our addictions and now she has something going, hmmm .

Anyways, Georgiadawgger, try an azoo mini filter. 6.50$ at Dr. Foster and Smith and quiet as can be. I was pretty impressed with it.

Also, you should check out the Barr Report. I think there is an article about dosing smaller tanks with water changes every 2 to 3 weeks. I will try to find it later if no one else has the motivation. I have to find mine!

Edit: The article is actually a non CO2 tank, still interesting though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisb925
Bill, I thought your wife couldn't understand our addictions and now she has something going, hmmm .
Oh, she can appreciate the beauty of the tank...she just doesn't get into discussing dosing and cultivating.

óBill

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode