CO2 at 77ppm with DIY?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 at 77ppm with DIY??

OK yesterday I redid my whole diy CO2 since there was a leak somewhere. Now I have 2 1-L bottles hooked up to a "bell" diffuser (although mine is a square) and it hovers right over the filter outflow so there's a good amount of flow under it. 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds and the bell is filled to capacity but the diffusion rate is so fast that nothing ever escapes the bell. I did a water change this morning and added bicarb to bring the KH to 6, like always. This afternoon I thought I'd check the pH and see how the new bottles were doing. Yipes pH was down at 6.3 from the usual ~7. I added a bit more bicarb to bring the pH up but I don't know how much bicarb raises what amount of pH (my pH kit only reads up to 7.4 and that's my tap pH). According to the CO2 chart my CO2 is now at 77! That can't be right... can it? My fish are gasping a bit so I just moved the diffuser away from the filter. Do you think the chart is accurate? It's always seemed accurate and I haven't changed anything except CO2 bottles lately...

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Fish gasping is a good indicator of too much CO2. Your diffusor might be too efficient . Reduce co2 output by getting a different recipe. or reduce the flow beneeth the diffusor, or increase surface aggitation a tad to allow it to outgas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:56 PM

I've had 85ppm of CO2 with DIY on a 20gallon before...so yeah, its likely you hit it too.

Also, after adding bicarb to raise dKh, you have to wait about 12 hours before you'll get an accurate Kh reading. You may have less Kh than you realized, which would allow for a greated pH drop due to less buffering ability.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ah I didn't know that about bicarb and KH. So does the KH change right away but the test kits can't measure it for another 12 hrs, or the KH won't change for that long? And what about pH? It changes that instantly right?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:33 PM

I've never had to add bicarb to a FW tank, but I add a Kh buffer to my SW tank, and it says you can't measure pH for 6 hours, and can't measure Kh for at least 12 hours.

The issue is you'll probably get either a diluted, or concentrated amount of bicarb in the test vial, rather than the 'average' bicarb level of the entire tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh ok makes sense. Thanks for the info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode