Facts on acidity - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Facts on acidity

So i've been looking around for fish to add to a 50 gallon and i've got a couple set in mind, then i saw the amazing coloration on Apistos and was instantly drawn. Then i read they thrive in acidic waters. My tap comes out at 7.6ph and 4'kH. Some other articles i've read claim that they still do fine in basic parameters. So what's the truth? If i were to invest in Apistos, would i need to also invest in RO or buffers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lots of people manage to keep (and often breed) fish in water that is outside the supposed requirements of the fish.

Assuming your apistos are coming from acid water (always a good idea to check the water they come in to see just how different it is from yours), the most important thing is a very slow (i.e., drip) acclimation period, and that you keep your parameters stable. Moving from lower to higher pH is more difficult (in the sense of it taking longer for the fish to make the necessary physiological changes), so it's essential that you go nice and slow.

Caveat: if you're dealing with a variety that's heavily line bred they are likely to have less capacity to adapt (since mother nature is the only breeder that selects for this trait).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
1) Make the GH optimum for the fish.
2) Make the KH about equal to the GH.
3) Filter that water through peat moss to make it like the black water environment that many soft water fish come from.
pH is less important, but by setting the other things as close as you reasonably can the pH will usually fall in line within the fishes' tolerances.

Many species of Apistos are wild caught or just one or two generations away from wild caught. Best to put some pretty good effort into making the water chemistry right for them. Fish that have been bred in captivity (but not line bred) for more generations are usually more adaptable to conditions that are not quite like their ancestors came from.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well from what i've been reading, the two main apistos i'm interested in, the agassizi and the cacuatoids, are pretty versatile in their water needs. My water from the tap comes in at 7.4ph and 4dkh, i don't have a dgh test. I feel pretty comfortable giving one of them a go. The loaches i'm actually really excited for. I already have the sinking pellets for my cories, plus home grown squash that i've blanched and given as well. My hope for the loaches is snail control. My other two tanks have pretty healthy trumpet snail populations and the majority of my plants will be transplants and trimmings from these tanks. I'd like the snails to stay a little less visible on this one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Try to locate a local breeder that raises their fish in your local water.

Or, someone on a area with water the same type as yours. Chicago area water is hard.

Start with young fish that were raised in water close in value to yours. You should be able to raise those to maturity with little problem. When it time to breed them you will probably need to soften the water.

You might want to go to the G.C.C.A website they are the largest cichlid cub in the USA. I know of at least one GGCA board member that raises Discus that way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode