Mosquito Larvae in my water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Mosquito Larvae in my water

I'm not exactly sure where I should have posted this.

for the last few days I have been seeing a bunch of mosquitos in my bedroom where I keep my tanks. I am killing 3-4 mosquitos a day. I don't open my windows ever and the front door and the garage door is on the 1st floor while my room is on the second floor.
I think I have mosquito larvae in my tanks. Currently, I have a 10 gal with one betta, 6 neon tetra and 3 otos, a 5 gal bucket of red ramshorn snails and a 2.5 gal with shrimp. The last two have a lot of surface agitation from sponge filters but the 10 gal doesn't. It has a filter but because of the betta, I lessened the flow on the filter.
I'm not too worried about my 10 gal bc I'm pretty sure my fish will eat the larvae sooner or later. Also with my 5 gal bucket of snails, I can change the water and put in water with chlorine in it. I've done it before. The chlorine does not seem to hurt the snails but should kill the larvae.But wht am I suppose to do about my shrimp tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just put bubblers in all of them and you're good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Usually mosquitoes do not like turbulent water, so more water movement might do the trick.

Is there any way of putting at least one fish in each tank? Maybe there is something that will eat mosquito larvae but not shrimp? Put the snails in the 10 gallon tank.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Mosquito netting over the tanks maybe. Im planning a emersed tank outside and am thinking of using netting instead of fish to control mosquitoes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode