CO2 Yes or No????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2 Yes or No?????

I've got a 10 gallon soon to be redirted tank, and i'm thinking whether co2 is a go or not, i know it decreases oxygen so ill need an air pump (which i already use) and i was unclear wheather or not it helps control algea. I've never really gone in depth about co2 and i would like the opinion of someone who has or is currently using co2. And of course my tank is planted

Last edited by ADJAquariums; 07-06-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: idk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think unless you get some serious light and plan on dosing ferts you will waste your time and money with CO2.

If you are using a HOB filter you probably dont need a pump. Also I would definitely recommend pressurized CO2 its great.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
ony
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What plants would you like to grow and how much time/money are you planning to spend? No one can really advise you on this unless you say what it is you would like to achieve.

I'm quite firmly on the no CO2 side; there are plenty of great plants that I can grow without it and the cost is rather eye watering for my size of tank. Even without the cost element I don't think it would be worth the risk of losing my livestock to a CO2 related accident.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You can get a good paintball regulator from nilcog for $34 now with tubing, and you can buy diffusers and tanks on ebay for $25 to $30. Not really expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm on the no CO2 side as well because I don't want to be tied to doing maintenance on my tanks every week. Non CO2 tanks mostly look the same week after week and if you stick to slow growing low light plants you barely ever need to trim. Plus it's less equipment to worry about which is always a plus if you ever want to go on vacation.

That said, I always fantasize about how nice and healthy my plants might look with CO2 :P
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
CO2 does nothing to the dissolved oxygen in the water. You don't need an airstone, and using one only prevents you from keeping enough CO2 in the water. A 10 gallon tank can use DIY CO2 very well and cheaply. Just limit the light to 20-30 micromols of PAR and you will be much more satisfied with the plant growth than without CO2, and algae should not become a major problem.

Hoppy
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
ya..co2 wont hurt the dissolved o2 in the water..but at night plants give off co2..so you might still want to use a small airstone at night when the lights go off ( depending on how heavily you planted) then again im wondering..the plants take up o2 at night so i dont see how using an airstone at night could be a bad move.

im no expert but from waht i have read, plants always seem to do better with co2 and ferts. im currently planting a low light 55gal and finally decided to use co2 and ferts. not a lot of co2 and not a lot of ferts..but it will help the plants grow very nicely in lower light..plus the low light and co2 should keep algae off. this is what im hoping anyway.

iv been talking to Hoppy in another thread about it too as well as lots of readings ...this seems to be the best solution to a nice algae free tank with relatively little maintainance.

even if its diy co2 ..i would say go with it. my last tank had a good co2 system and ferts..high light ..plain gravel and sand substrate and im almost certain the co2 and ferts made plants grow amazing

go for it!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
I've got a 10 gallon soon to be redirted tank, and i'm thinking whether co2 is a go or not, i know it decreases oxygen so ill need an air pump (which i already use) and i was unclear wheather or not it helps control algea. I've never really gone in depth about co2 and i would like the opinion of someone who has or is currently using co2. And of course my tank is planted

think i got carried away and forget about your real q
CO2 100% helps a ton with not getting algae
i have no real proof onhand but from months and months of reading about it..that is the concluson i came too
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 10gal that I just run DIY yeast CO2 on. I use one of the smaller Gatorade bottles and change/refill it once a week, takes about 5mins. I have med light, and pretty undemanding plants, but those plants love it! I do not run an air stone at night on either of my DIY CO2 tanks and have never had any problems. It's pretty hard to gas anything with DIY CO2.

Anyways, just my 2 cents that CO2 is totally worth the 5minutes a week I spend on it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

dishy ..what mixture of yeast do you use ..like in what proportions. and what kind of yeast? iv never tried diy co2 but i might just for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy View Post
I have a 10gal that I just run DIY yeast CO2 on. I use one of the smaller Gatorade bottles and change/refill it once a week, takes about 5mins. I have med light, and pretty undemanding plants, but those plants love it! I do not run an air stone at night on either of my DIY CO2 tanks and have never had any problems. It's pretty hard to gas anything with DIY CO2.

Anyways, just my 2 cents that CO2 is totally worth the 5minutes a week I spend on it
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've had a large high tech tank running for eight years with CO2, Flourite, EI dosing and my low tech nano with AS has better looking plants with nothing else added, so I'm liking low tech with a rich substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks7.1985 View Post
dishy ..what mixture of yeast do you use ..like in what proportions. and what kind of yeast? iv never tried diy co2 but i might just for fun
In a 20oz Gatorade bottle I use:
1 cup sugar
1/4tsp of yeast, then I add just a tad more yeast

This is the yeast I buy at Bi-Lo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120708_211206.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	50473  

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the proportions...and the pic lol..i have a 55 gal so ill just scale it up to 2L bottles i suppose.l

but then stumpy had to say that haha ...i guess ill see how it goes the first few weeks
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

this thought just occurred to me...is there any way to reduce the bubbles per second after you have the yeast mixture going?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks7.1985 View Post
this thought just occurred to me...is there any way to reduce the bubbles per second after you have the yeast mixture going?
No I can't. But I'm sure if you really wanted to you could rig up some sort of DIY needle valveish thing to it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode