Milwaukee instruments SMS 122 PH Controller - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/91%)
Milwaukee instruments SMS 122 PH Controller

Is there anyone here using this frustrating device?? Everytime I plug The regulator into controller plug it turns the regulator off. My PH is 6.5 I have the controller set to 7.0. Do I really need this thing??
Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The controller will only turn the Co2 on if the pH goes above your set point. Since your set point is at 7.0 and your pH is at 6.5, it will not add Co2 to the tank. Because your pH is already so low, I would ditch the controller and rely on your own tests and a drop checker to measure the Co2 concentration in the tank. Maybe someone with more experience than I will chime in though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Do you have a drop checker? Did you check the pH with a test kit? I run the CO2 irregardless of the set point, just keep turning the controller knob down until the drop checker color is yellow green. What's your source of water? Check the pH of your water from the source (tap or RO filter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
Do you have a drop checker? Did you check the pH with a test kit? I run the CO2 irregardless of the set point, just keep turning the controller knob down until the drop checker color is yellow green. What's your source of water? Check the pH of your water from the source (tap or RO filter).
Yes, I have a drop checker. It is very blue. The ph was 6.7 when I set up the co2 rig. I use RODI.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquefloorman View Post
Yes, I have a drop checker. It is very blue. The ph was 6.7 when I set up the co2 rig. I use RODI.
It would help if you can use half tap and half RODI. The pH will go above your set pH (regulator) and the CO2 will kick in. Does your tank have fauna/critters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, nothing special. Should i do a wc of tap water?? It is around 7.0? I am turning this into a farm tank. Co2 high lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
It would help if you can use half tap and half RODI. The pH will go above your set pH (regulator) and the CO2 will kick in. Does your tank have fauna/critters?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think this may be a time to ignore some of the common information you read about fish. While it is true that about the most talked about item in fish is the PH, I feel it is way overblown. I feel radical quick changes are bad but I find many fish will do fine and even breed well when they are slowly moved out of their "recommended" PH. I have very hard alkaline tap water and I was somewhat concerned about trying planted tanks and fish together as my fish had always been of the types who liked my tap water.

I fell into a sms122 and wanted to try it as it was all set up. I first went with the high setting of my tap water but over several months, as the plants and tank got it together, I began moving the dial just a touch lower which kept the CO2 moving. Over time I moved my PH from 7.6 down to 6.8 and the plants love it and the fish are breeding.

I recommend moving the dial down just enough to get the CO2 you want and watch the fish for how they feel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquefloorman View Post
Yes, nothing special. Should i do a wc of tap water?? It is around 7.0? I am turning this into a farm tank. Co2 high lighting.
On your next WC just use tap water since your tank is full of RODI right now. It's true that most fish we buy from the petstore easily adjust to gradual pH change because they have been bred from fish farms.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with the posters above. I can tell from my own experiences that fish can tolerate much wider daily Ph swings than most of the published "facts" indicate. I have my Ph controller set to drop the Ph in my tank to 6.2 from a nightly average of 7.2-7.4 with no discomfort to my tank's inhabitants. I use RO/DI water with the needed minerals added for water changes and my water measures 3dGh and 4dKh. If the OP already had a low Ph without CO2 injection, then his source water was already to low in TDS and had virtually no buffering capacity being that it was "too pure". Do a water change using a measured amount of tap water to increase the water's buffering capacity and bring the Ph of the tank back to around 7.0, then dial down the PH controller to drop the ph until the drop checker turns green. Don't worry about your fish- they'll be fine and your plantswill love it and reward you with vigorous growth.

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
I agree with the posters above. I can tell from my own experiences that fish can tolerate much wider daily Ph swings than most of the published "facts" indicate. I have my Ph controller set to drop the Ph in my tank to 6.2 from a nightly average of 7.2-7.4 with no discomfort to my tank's inhabitants. I use RO/DI water with the needed minerals added for water changes and my water measures 3dGh and 4dKh. If the OP already had a low Ph without CO2 injection, then his source water was already to low in TDS and had virtually no buffering capacity being that it was "too pure". Do a water change using a measured amount of tap water to increase the water's buffering capacity and bring the Ph of the tank back to around 7.0, then dial down the PH controller to drop the ph until the drop checker turns green. Don't worry about your fish- they'll be fine and your plantswill love it and reward you with vigorous growth.
My tds was 230 when I started. I did a wc of about 60%. The ph now is 6.9 and the tds is 339. I am waiting for my drop checker to turn greenish yellow. Thanks for the help. Is there a concern when tds is high in a planted tank?? Also, how many osmocote capsules should I stick in the substrate?? It is a 55 gal.
Thanks,
Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode