Kh concentrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Kh concentrate

I am tired of buying Kh products to increase my Kh. I don't want to do it with dry baking soda. I want to make a concentrate like you buy @ the lfs. Has or does anyone do this. If so how much of water and baking soda do I need to create a concentrate?

Thanks Todd Ziegler
Always question those who claim to have the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out!

If you know how much baking soda to add to your tank to raise the KH by 1 then dissolving that much baking soda in distilled water and then adding the water is essentially the same thing.
So if you want a solution you can dose say 100 times and you want say, each dose to be 10ml, then you need to get 1000 ml of distilled water and dissolve 10x the baking soda in it.

The issue will be finding the max capacity of baking soda in water, you might not be able to dissolve very much.

I think it would be much easier to just add the baking soda dry, especially if you have a scale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 teaspoon of baking soda added to a 29 gallon tank raises the KH by 2 German degrees of hardness. I dump the baking soda into the HOB filter to dissolve. Or sprinkle it directly into the tank right in front of the filter outlet. Dissolves almost instantly. Or I just dose my hard water tanks when I do a water change (adding it to the new water). Through the week they maintain the right KH because of the coral sand substrate.

However, if you want to make a liquid solution:

Figure out how much baking soda you want to add over the course of... lets say a week.
Decide how often you will add it. (lets say you will divide the weekly dose so you add something twice a week)

Dissolve the weeks worth of baking soda in whatever amount of water it takes. Add half of that on Monday and half of that on Thursday. You will have to shake it up well on Thursday, it settles when it is concentrated.

If you want to add just a little bit every day, then I would make some sort of volume that can be divided by 8. For example, 1 cup. Add 1/8 cup daily, every morning, and use the rest when you do a water change.

Alternatives to baking soda:
Add some of these to the filter, in a nylon stocking:
Coral sand, Oyster shell grit (sold for caged birds), limestone based sand or fine gravel.
Use some limestone based rocks in the decor.
Seashells and coral will work, too, but are not really appropriate in a fresh water setting. OK, I suppose, if you have the bubbling scuba diver or ceramic merperson.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Why are you increasing the KH? Maybe it isn't necessary to do so.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode