Green Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry Green Water

I am soooooo frustrated! I have a 125 gallon and its been running for awhile now and just recently my water has turned green! I cant even see my fish anymore! I currently dont have any plants in there. I've tried everything! I did a large water change, but the water just turned green within 24 hours. I changed my activated carbon, added some filter wool and even added some of the B Clear made by Hagen, which in my experience usually does work.
Does anyone have any suggestions?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
EoS
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn_Chica
Does anyone have any suggestions?????
12X UV Sterilizer. Worked wonders for our 72g (after a 3x hardly dented it).

72g bowfront, 4.5 wpg (4x65w 48" + 1x65w 24" Aqualights), 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

30g, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026, Pressurized CO2 w/Milwaukee regulator and SMS122 PH controller, Turbotwist 6x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer

JBJ Nano-cube 6 - quarantine tank for now...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am feeling your pain Cdn_Chica !
Im in a bout of it myself in the 75G and for the record it is not my first time. Let me try the other end of the scale with advice which comes from years of crystal clear waters and also the flip side of having green mucky waters... it is not unhealthy at all to your plants or fish as long as you keep up on water changes and "normal" routines. It will pass with patience OR a UV, Diatom etc... LOL
I have well water and it changes parameters from time to time and season to season. Depending on your well, water temps affect water quality unless treated (Chlorinated City Water). I see it in my water filters on the main line to the house and I see it in the tanks.
Everyone panics at the sight of a green spot on the glass or a change in the water color, it is NATURAL.

It is more a deep slash to our pride then anything else.
GW does not make for pretty pictures, it does not make for good conversation but it is just a "tank phase" that more folks have been through then wish to admit.
If you dont have the cash for equiptment, in other words, a UV or a Diatom Filter, then just kill your lights, clean the filters good and do water changes every 3 days or so.. it will normally disappear. No need to panic, many of us think that it is harmful and its not ! Its only a slap in the face... LOL

BTW... Please dont tell anyone that I have GW too...

Remember, dont lose the faith, its only a harmless stage.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I had GW once for about 2 weeks. For what it's worth, I performed 50% H2O changes every other day. I think it's important to keep the plants in the aquarium photosynthesizing/alive. Make sure your CO2 is @ 30ppm at least.

You can get a UV sterilizer, etc., but you're treating the symptoms not the problem.

No miracle cure, though I've heard barley straw (or its extract) works.

John P.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:32 PM

What type of lighting do you have? (How many bulbs, wattage, etc.)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76
What type of lighting do you have? (How many bulbs, wattage, etc.)
I have a 72 inch coralife double linear strip compact fluorescent light. it has 2-96 watt true actinic 03 bulbs and 2-96 watt 10,000 K daylight bulbs. It also has 6 moon-glow LED lights, but I rarely use those.
I was thinking about going with a UV sterilizer. I was going to ask you guys if you think a Laguna UV Sterilizer - 8 Watt - 30cm (12"). Its made for ponds, but i was thining I could make it work for a fish tank.. Here is the info on it:
- Up to 2700 L (1,000 U.S. Gal.)
- 8 W
- 46 cm (18")
- 12 V transformer
- Spiral-shaped UV contact chamber increases UV exposure time
- Quartz sleeve protects bulb and maintains proper bulb temperature
- Maximum flow rate: Up to 1900 L (500 U.S. Gal.)PH
- UV-sterilizers are recommended for indoor use only
I mean it says recommended for indoor use only... so it should be alright! Im not looking to get a seriously expensive one, like I said I am not going to do plants in my tank, not for awhile at least (Damn severums kill my silk plants so im not going to risk live)
If any of you can give me some input on the hagen UV sterilizers I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
I kind of like the design of the TurboTwist UVs myself. That's probably what I'm gonna end up buying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just a wild thought here. Try swapping out the actinic bulbs for something that the plants can actually use.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Just a wild thought here. Try swapping out the actinic bulbs for something that the plants can actually use.
thanx for the advice, but i dont have plants in this tank
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You have way to much light on a tank with no plants and no C02=green water.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
What on earth would possess you to have that amount of light on a tank with no plants? At most for that tank you would need 80 watts of light to see the fish. There is a reason that most standard aquarium setups come with such small lights. Excess light leads to algae. Try turning off the lights and going with a standard strip light on the tank.

3 WPG would be a high light 125 gallon planted tank. With no plants in there it's basically an algae farm. A standard 6' tank comes with either three 2' strip lights or sometimes two 3' strips. In either case you have about 60 watts of light. Which is very low light and just enough to enjoy the fish.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

The reason I have this light is because in the future, I do plan to do a planted tank. At the moment all I have in there are severums, which cannot be put with plants, live or silk.
I know its a lot of lighting but I got a kick ass deal on it so I went with it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:29 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
OT, but lurve your monkey!

I've never had GW myself. But from stories I've heard, it's usually overload on fish waste and excess nutrients. Like Buck said, it's totally normal and for a non-planted tank, harmless. It's even good for fry if you have any floating around LOL....
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe you could unplug or switch off a couple of the bulbs. Just because you have four bulbs doesn't mean you have to run four bulbs. You can even save some electricity in the process.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
No plants, hu. . Feed your fish, do a large WC 50% or more, turn off all the lights and cover the entire aquarium for 3 days this is called a blackout and sometimes does not work. It took me 2 attempts but I also added pressurised co2 and had a fair ammount of plants. But if you dont lower your lighting you will have GW again snd again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode