Preferred parameter to tweak - KH or PH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
EoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preferred parameter to tweak - KH or PH?

Trying to hit that sweet spot of 30ppm of CO2. We run a ph controller set at 6.9, and our KH is 6. We need to either lower the PH or raise KH to hit the numbers right.

Last time we tested out of the tap (after 24hours) the PH is 8-ish, KH is 3.5, (GH is around 14), and LOADED with chlorimine . That was several months ago though.

Any thoughts on which is the better parameter to tweak?

TIA,
Sean

72g bowfront, 4.5 wpg (4x65w 48" + 1x65w 24" Aqualights), 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

30g, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026, Pressurized CO2 w/Milwaukee regulator and SMS122 PH controller, Turbotwist 6x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer

JBJ Nano-cube 6 - quarantine tank for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Lower the pH. That way you are adding nothing to the water.

But my question is if your tap water is around 8 and your tank is around 6 where is the extra kH going? If your tap water varies then you will have to check your set point with every water change.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 AM

I would tweak your pH. When you start tweaking KH, the CO2 chart goes out the window. All you have to get your pH to is 6.7.

Brian

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Lower the pH. That way you are adding nothing to the water.

But my question is if your tap water is around 8 and your tank is around 6 where is the extra kH going? If your tap water varies then you will have to check your set point with every water change.
If their tap water is anything like mine, then there was no KH in the first place. Just an odd high pH. My tap water is 8.2 coming out of the faucet. Then it starts to drop quickly over the next day. KH tests reveal a KH of 1-2d. Great for lovely pH crashes

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
EoS
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense about not adding anything to the water (though I understood Baking Soda to be the accepted way of raising KH without affecting other parameters).

Rex, I think you misread my numbers though - PH is 8 out of the tap, KH is 3.5. We use baking soda to raise the KH.

We figured altering KH would be less detrimental to the fish than major PH swings with water changes.

As for fluctuations, I don't think it is - we just haven't tested the tap in a while. We've got some sitting to test tomorrow.

Sean

72g bowfront, 4.5 wpg (4x65w 48" + 1x65w 24" Aqualights), 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

30g, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026, Pressurized CO2 w/Milwaukee regulator and SMS122 PH controller, Turbotwist 6x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer

JBJ Nano-cube 6 - quarantine tank for now...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
pH changes due to CO2 won't harm the fish.

Tom Barr has shown this to be true and I also have experience with it.

I have tap water that has NO kH. And it comes from the tap with a pH of around 6-6.5 most of the time. I have to add kH and gH. But I do it the lazy way by using sugar sand in my canister filters.

Also when giving tap water readings it's best to give the readings based on water that has rested for 24 hours. If I let my tap water rest for 24 hours then the pH comes up to 6.9-7.2 most of the time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

On my first pass through Rex's post I was also confused. I think the idea is that you can stop buffering the KH (adding baking soda) and instead lower the set point of the controller.

Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoS
Rex, I think you misread my numbers though - PH is 8 out of the tap, KH is 3.5. We use baking soda to raise the KH.

Moved to Tucson.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:35 PM

adding Baking soda will raise both Kh and pH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode