EI dosing schedule for 20H, pressurized CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
EI dosing schedule for 20H, pressurized CO2

Hey all, I've done my research and I *believe* I have my dosing schedule and amounts set, but I was hoping some experienced members could confirm for me before I place my order for dry ferts.

I have a 20H tank with the Finnex Ray II DD LED 24" light. According to the PAR data I've seen, that puts me at medium light. I will be beginning pressurized CO2 in the next couple of weeks.

As for my tap water, I do have nitrates present. According to my API test kit my nitrates are 10-20ppm (hard to distinguish the color...) straight from the tap, but I'm wondering if this is truly accurate because it's far from the .97ppm average that my local water report stated.

As for GH, my local water report states an average of 289ppm. We definitely have hard water... my wife will attest to that after growing up on very soft water.

Given all of the above, my plan is as follows:

50% H20 change-weekly
1/16 Tsp-KN03 3x a week (due to nitrates already in tap)
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16 Tsp-Trace 3x a week
1ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week (Flourish Iron)

I was not planning on adding GH booster given my hard water, but that's where I'm not quite sure what I should do. Also, I don't have a GH or KH test so I haven't actually tested my own tap in that regards. If I don't add GH booster, should I add anything else?

Lastly, when adding the dry ferts at the amounts above, do you just toss them directly into the tank? Including the CSM + B?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Did you beat the living **** out of the #2 NO3 test bottle? It has powder, and needs to be banged and thrown around for at least 5 minutes to give an accurate reading. Also, you need to drop in bottle #1, close the lid, shake a few times, then do bottle #2. As far as reading, upcap the cap, place the tube on the white of the card and look DOWN the tube from the inside. This is how you truly read these test kits, not from the side where the color is spread/distorted.

I'd ensure you have that amount of nitrate, because thats a whole lot.

As for lighting, figuring a 16" high tank, 2" of substrate minimum, that gives you 14" from top of tank to substrate. So, id estimate around 60 PAR at the substrate, so medium is correct.

Lastly, I do not dose EI so I hope others can help you there
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by temple2101 View Post
Hey all, I've done my research and I *believe* I have my dosing schedule and amounts set, but I was hoping some experienced members could confirm for me before I place my order for dry ferts.

I have a 20H tank with the Finnex Ray II DD LED 24" light. According to the PAR data I've seen, that puts me at medium light. I will be beginning pressurized CO2 in the next couple of weeks.

As for my tap water, I do have nitrates present. According to my API test kit my nitrates are 10-20ppm (hard to distinguish the color...) straight from the tap, but I'm wondering if this is truly accurate because it's far from the .97ppm average that my local water report stated.

As for GH, my local water report states an average of 289ppm. We definitely have hard water... my wife will attest to that after growing up on very soft water.

Given all of the above, my plan is as follows:

50% H20 change-weekly
1/16 Tsp-KN03 3x a week (due to nitrates already in tap)
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16 Tsp-Trace 3x a week
1ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week (Flourish Iron)

I was not planning on adding GH booster given my hard water, but that's where I'm not quite sure what I should do. Also, I don't have a GH or KH test so I haven't actually tested my own tap in that regards. If I don't add GH booster, should I add anything else?

Lastly, when adding the dry ferts at the amounts above, do you just toss them directly into the tank? Including the CSM + B?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Might mix a little MgSO4(epsom salt) with your trace mix.
I'd not use the Flourish at all.
Likely better to use DTPA Fe with the limestone tap water you have.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
Did you beat the living **** out of the #2 NO3 test bottle? It has powder, and needs to be banged and thrown around for at least 5 minutes to give an accurate reading. Also, you need to drop in bottle #1, close the lid, shake a few times, then do bottle #2. As far as reading, upcap the cap, place the tube on the white of the card and look DOWN the tube from the inside. This is how you truly read these test kits, not from the side where the color is spread/distorted.

I'd ensure you have that amount of nitrate, because thats a whole lot.

As for lighting, figuring a 16" high tank, 2" of substrate minimum, that gives you 14" from top of tank to substrate. So, id estimate around 60 PAR at the substrate, so medium is correct.

Lastly, I do not dose EI so I hope others can help you there
I usually follow the API instructions to a "T" on the Nitrate test and vigorously shake/beat the bottle for 1 minute. I retested the tap for Nitrates after doing it for 5 minutes and I would say I got a bit of a different result which showed maybe 5-10ppm. Again, hard to read in my opinion and from what I've read, likely inaccurate anyway. Thanks for the tip though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Might mix a little MgSO4(epsom salt) with your trace mix.
I'd not use the Flourish at all.
Likely better to use DTPA Fe with the limestone tap water you have.
Thank you! I put in my order from GLA and will take your advice on the MgSO4. I had read that on your site and meant to ask about it, so thanks for the reminder!

I also ordered their DTPA Fe, so I will use that in place of the Flourish.

Last question is how much MgSO4 and Iron Chelate would you add dry? I was thinking 1/64 tsp for both. Does that sound right?

Thank you!!
Joe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple2101 View Post
Last question is how much MgSO4 and Iron Chelate would you add dry? I was thinking 1/64 tsp for both. Does that sound right?
OK, I think I'm way off on my statement above. Using Wet's calculator, I should dose 1/16 - 1/8 tsp DTPA Fe (11%). That, along with my 1/16 tsp dose of CSM + B should give me a good amount of Fe.

I feel like this stuff is starting to make sense... at least I hope, until someone tells me I'm way off (which I won't be surprised if that's the case...) .

As for MgSO4, using various calculators, I believe a dose of 1/4 - 1/2 tsp mixed in with the CSM + B 3x a week would make sense, correct?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode