Co2 back on at same time lights come on? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Co2 back on at same time lights come on?

For those of you who's Co2 is on a timer, when do you turn your Co2 back on? At the same time your lights come on, or do you let the Co2 build up a while before that?

My Co2 comes on at 8:00am and first lights at 12 noon.
I think 4 hours may be a little much; I wonder if this could be contributing to some crud I'm getting that looks like brown dust bunnies that stubbornly stick to substrate.

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Personally, I have mine set to come on and off with the lights, same time.
Been working fine like that for a long time.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich
Maybe a bit before, but it doesn't matter too much I'd think, seeing as how plants produce CO2 overnight. However, having it come on maybe 20-30minutes before lights-on would help.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:02 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The only time my CO2 is off is when the bottle is in my truck and heading for a refill.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Martin
...wont your pH rise over night, then start decreasing again when Co2 comes back on... again & again & again??? wont this stress the little fishies? aka bad mojo?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiot
...wont your pH rise over night, then start decreasing again when Co2 comes back on... again & again & again??? wont this stress the little fishies? aka bad mojo?
Well, poster and newsletter author Tom Barr says no, and everyone seems to be listening to him.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
PH shifts induced by CO2 are harmless.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
...wont this stress the little fishies? aka bad mojo?

Filstar #79
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbels

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
...wont your pH rise over night, then start decreasing again when Co2 comes back on... again & again & again????
This is up for discussion. CO2 lowers the pH. Plants use the CO2. At night they don't. So CO2 isn't used up. So the pH stays exactly the same.

If only there were no losses due to surface agitation.

Personally I think it doesn't matter, 4 hours before or 20 min before or 24/7 or what, it doesn't explain brown crud. I run my diy setups 24/7 and the pressurized comes on with the main lights, running for 8 hours. This is saving 66% CO2 over running it continuously, and I don't need to worry about agitating the water over night. PH is about 7.5 in the morning and 7.3 in the evening which is just great.

Anyway... for simplicity's sake I would just turn it on and off with the lights if your setup has a solenoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Anyway... for simplicity's sake I would just turn it on and off with the lights if your setup has a solenoid.
Yes, that is what I decided to do starting last nite. I am plum tickled to say that pH did not move much at all.

Filstar #79
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If pH induced stress from CO2 causes fish issues, why don't we have dead fish when we do large 50% water changes with pH differences of 1 full unit?
Try this at 80% water changes, same result as far as fish health.

That is the only pH swing we can have, ~roughly one full unit unless we do not add enough CO2 during the day. At night this takes several hours to rise, in a water change, it takes a few minutes.

A simple observation that any aquarist can try and often does answers if this is significant issue or not.

You may draw your own conclusion from this based on if pH swings from CO2 off at night are bad or not.

Regards,
Tom Barr
3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
[email protected] Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have a controller? The controller will not put more co2 into the water if it has reached the set point. The plants produce co2 at night. I consider this a redundant question. If your controller adds co2 after your set point has been reached, throw it out!

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Quote:
Well, the point of turning it off at night is to prevent exactally that. When the lights are off, the plants don't use any CO2, and infact expell it while taking in O2, just as we do. So, if you leave the CO2 on all night with no aeration or pH controller, you could wind up with EXTREME CO2 levels in the morning (potentially). So yes, turning it off fluctuates it a bit, but leaving it on would cause even more variation.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

See above: Your "PH controller" is set at say 6.8. You have achieved 6.8 before your lights turn off. Now that the lights are off, your plants expel co2. There would be NO REASON why your controller would turn back on because you have enough already. Why bother to turn it off? It is already off. Unless your controller is malfunctioning it will remain off until around noon tomorrow!

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research

Last edited by ridns; 06-08-2005 at 05:30 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode