which is off? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
which is off?

hi

Was wondering which of these parameters are off that could be causing my algae issues (staghorn,green water,and the dark blackish crud that 'dirtyies' my leaves sporatically)??

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
GH = about 63 ppm
KH = 53.7 ppm
pH = 7.4 - 7.6
Phosphate = 0.75 ppm

78 deg. Fahrenheit

29 gallon

2*65 coralife w/ moonlights on a 11 hr/day timer
  • 1 bulb @ 10,000 K
  • 1 bulb split 1/2 6.700K 1/2 Colormax

HOB Aquaclear 70 w/ foam block and activated carbon

very recent 70% water change
i think the green water is returning... i wonder if ill see my fish in the morning

before the water change i was dosing heavy for a few days with Flourish Excel by Seachem (3x Dose) to treat the staghorn ... after the water change i could see, finally, that the staghorn has been damaged by the treatment the color went from green/grey to a light green almost yellow and looks visibly weakened

i've done a trim to some of the plants
most are showing signs of growth

the elodea and the snowflake lillies can reach the surface in 2 days

Sag. Subulata shows new growth and is spreading but the older 'shoots' had to be cut off due to some dark algae (brown/black/green ? 'crud')

Java ferns are reproducing but dont show signs of any major gowth

Glosso is giving spreading new growth as well despite its stems and older leaves 'rusting' in color

the lobelia and brazilian swords are contented

Hygrophila are growing

Willisi seems to be holding, no new growth though it prevailed a slight algae attack

all my fish seem happy (15 of them)
4 Guppies (2 Male 2 female)
1 Killifish
1 Khuli Loach
2 Corys (1 green 1 panda)
1 red rainbow shark
1 Black Neon
2 Flying Foxes
1 Gold Danio
1 Rasbora
1 Phantom
also i have 2 Zebra snails that i believe are laying eggs on my driftwood (tiny raised white spots)

Any help is appreciatedand when my water clears i would like you all to try and tell me what 1 of my plants is.. it seems a cross between a sword and a stem plant, since it has broad leaves but a slow growing stem

thanks,
Wizdum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Co2 With KH that low, your PH should be in the low 6 range to have proper co2 levels. You didnt post your NO3. What is your fert routine?
jB
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll echo what was just said. This has some good info too about having a successful planted tank.

http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Same thought here.

130 watts of light over a 29 gallon tank pretty much requires a pressurized CO2 system. Also you did not note your nitrate levels. And get rid of the carbon in your filter as it will strip some of the needed trace minerals from the water.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

i had a DIY Co2 ..but it was a royal pain...
i spoke with the guy at a pet shop he suggested leasing a co2 system (tank and regulator) from say a welding shop
Nitrates...well i dont have a test yet for that...anyone suggest any?
ill try yanking out that carbon rex...ty
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I use hagen kits. They seem ok. I dont test too much anymore. You are going to need to drop your light or get CO2. We can help.
jB
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Hello in Bayonne...I grew up there.
Guy in colonial? Or is there another store there now?

At any rate, a short ride out to clifton, AGL Welding, you can pickup a 5lb Co2 tank for around $100 (Lease + Fill), refills are cheaper, don't remember refill price...
However, Airdyne (sp?) at city line (Rt. 440 in Jersey city near that seedy motel), where I used to get propane filled may have co2 tanks? .
Closer than Clifton...

Then, order a regulator online from one of this site's sponsor's, lots of posts about which one already on here...

Finally, decide on a diffusion method, and since you are running a AC HOB filter, probably would recommend a powerhead into tube style diffusor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:17 PM

I prefer the aquarium pharm NO3 test over the Hagen/Nutrafin brand. it's not 100% accurate, but it's good enough to test 0, 5, 10, 20 and 40ppm.

My guess is you're lacking nitrate, probably almost 0ppm, and with .75ppm of phosphate, you'd see algae for sure.

I second Rex's comment about 110watts on a 29 and needing pressurized. I tried 2 jugs of DIY on that same setup, and had nothign but black beard algae blooms. Plus if you ever upgrade, you can simply move the pressurized system over, or add a manifold and run multiple tanks from one setup.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

nah it wasn't colonial...though i did pick up a few fish there a few weeks ago
decent tanks..clean
i was out in Scotch Plains at the pet shanty (colonial's sister store)..i like that shop.. knowledgable staff and lots and lots of fish

Clifton huh.. guess ill try it

but first a nitrate kit.
thanks again
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
AGL in Clifton can be pricey. However, the nice thing about AGL is that they are open until 2:00PM on Saturdays!

AGL is just down the highway from Absolutely Fish. If you are going to AGL you might want to stop there. Be aware, AF opens up at 12:00PM. Plan accordingly!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Well i went out today and got a Nitrate test kit (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals)
and i got a reading of 0 ppm

so your saying i should get that up , correct?
if so how do i accomplish that?

ty
-Wiz
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.gregwatson.com/DryAquaticFertilizers.asp
buy some Potasium Nitrate from here

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm
Use this to figure out how much
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

alright...alright....alright
so

on wednesday the 8th i grumbled and spent a hundred bucks on a diatom filter and got rid of my green water and got myself some nice clean clear aquarium water... i was happy

the same day i got some KNO3 (Green Light Stump Remover - didnt wanna wait for Shipping)

i mixed up some of the KNO3 with Water
4.7 teaspoons KNO3 to 591 mL Water

i had a reading of 1 ppm Phosphate so i added 13 cc of the KNO3 Solution to my 29 gallon tank to attempt to raise the NO3 to just a hair under 10 ppm to try and get a 10:1 ratio of NO3:PO4

2 days later i tested the tank again and had a 0 NO3 reading again, yet still with a 1 ppm PO4 reading... so i redosed with the KNO3 solution

today i came home and found my water green

im stressing
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hang in there! At least you will get your money's worth out of the filter your bought

The way I figure each ml or cc (assuming 1 ml= 1cc) of this solution you have made will increase the Nitrate by .35ppm in your tank- assuming 20 gallons of actual tank water. This means that you will need about 28ml or 28 cc NOT 13cc of your Nitrate solution to dose your tank to 10ppm. I think you're not dosing enough.

Dose to 10ppm and test a coupe of days later to see if it dropped. If so then add some more (maybe a half dose?) Also make sure you have a lot of plants in there growing away. Fast growing stem plants are ideal. Also double check your Co2 levels. Keep 'em high 30ppm to 40ppm. If the plants have everything they need the algae can't grow anymore.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Test nitrate about 2 hours after you dose, and see what it's at. Basically, if plants were starved for any nutrient, once that nutrient becomes available, plants will soak it up at an incredible rate until it has enough stored to be happy again. Once that happens, nitrate in the water column will start to build up and you'll be able to relax the dosing a little.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode