Cheapest dry ferts source, complete ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cheapest dry ferts source, complete ferts

So many many choices for suppliers but where can I get the biggest bang for my buck, I need a complete dry fert source, micros and macros but I don't know where to really look, I only need a few month supply for now then I'll invest in more. Assume huge plant load for 50g cube I say huge cause all plants will be very demanding. Reds and carpet high co2 and way higher light than Ive had in the past

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
I get mine from:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

Not sure if you can get them cheaper, but everywhere I looked before buying was more expensive.

You should also probably look into EI or PPS Pro dosing? From the sounds of it, you are going a different route. What will you be doing?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Since I'm not big into water changes ei is out, my substrate is very high cec and heavily fertilized and I top off about a half gallon ro daily so I'm not sure yet just need dry macro and micros in ratios that will all be used up at the same time hoping to find a few month supply for under $15

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
GLA is not the cheapest but they have newer stock and better choices, the gH booster would be a good example. Just make sure you get enough to last so you don't have to go back and get a single item shipped, I always double or triple up on KNO3.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i can only do a few month supply at first just to get me through this rough patch and then i'll buy a year or two's worth, not sure how much i need but i'll probably end up with a pound or two of npk+csm+b and added iron and gh booster

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 AM
m8e
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does it have to be KN03, KH2P04, K2S04 and micros? You might be able to buy other ferts cheaper localy. (like calcium nitrate, Magnessium nitrate, potassium chlorine, and micros, and stuff like bonemeal might be even cheaper.

Please ignore any spelling/grammatical errors. I'm swedish and sometimes I'm also drunk.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

www.aquariumfertilizer.com
is another source.

KNO3 is also sold as stump remover. Read the label, though. Other materials are also sold as stump remover. I do not know if this will be cheaper than buying it on line and paying for shipping, though. (especially if you are already buying other things and paying shipping anyway)

Magnesium is available as Epsom salt, and this will be cheapest in Dollar Tree and similar stores. You might not need magnesium, though, if the GH of your water is already where you want it. This does not supply calcium.

Calcium is available as swimming pool chemicals. (Calcium carbonate) If you have friends with a pool or hot tub, and you need calcium, go read some labels and see if they will give you a few tablespoons. (Calcium carbonate will also raise the KH)

Is your tap water an acceptable source of GH?

Whatever source you find to add Ca and Mg (if you need to at all) make sure you are adding a balanced ratio. Plants seem to use Ca and Mg in a ratio of about 3 or 4 parts Ca to 1 part Mg. You might find GH booster locally, too, and not have to pay shipping. Again, read the labels. Some GH booster also contains potassium, so you would not have to buy K2SO4, if you need enough GH booster.

I would look at the sale forum here at Planted Tank, too. I think there is at least one, probably more, people selling these materials. Maybe one will have some sort of 'package deal' with perhaps 1/4 lb of each or something. Price it out carefully, though. It might really end up cheaper to buy it in larger amounts (such as a pound at a time).

With a high tech tank I would get these materials in a ratio something like:
1 lb KNO3
1/4 lb KH2PO4
1 lb K2SO4 (unless you already know you will be using enough of the first two to supply enough K)
1/4 lb traces
1/4 lb chelated iron
GH booster only if you know you need it. (And adjust the K2SO4 purchase as needed)

If you are not going to do the large water changes of the EI method, then you might start with perhaps 50% of the lower dosing suggested, and test to be sure that is OK. Be prepared to do some water changes if even 50% is too high. With fertilizer already in the substrate the rooted plants may not take as much from the water, but the fertilizer in the water will get into the substrate, and will replace whatever the plants are using. Then it ends up in the plants anyway.

Near me are at least 2 places where people can take household chemicals (paint, fertilizer, cleaning supplies and so on) and drop them off as an alternative to throwing them away in the dump. These recycling places then make these materials available free to anyone who will use them. I have found pool supplies, aquarium and pond supplies and many other useful things at one of these recyclers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote "
KNO3 is also sold as stump remover. Read the label, though"

Small update maybe? I have just gone through looking at this way of buying and found they no longer label the stump remover contents. Part of the new world thinking?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Grrr.

I have some stump remover that is labeled. Definitely do not buy it if you do not know which ingredients are in it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Quote "
KNO3 is also sold as stump remover. Read the label, though"

Small update maybe? I have just gone through looking at this way of buying and found they no longer label the stump remover contents. Part of the new world thinking?
Not listed possibly due to the fact it is one of the three main ingredients in gunpowder. There are restrictions on movement of large quantities of KNO3

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Potassium nitrate is sold as stump remover here, label reads how much nitrogen and potassium the stuff provides. It costs a lot more than buying online from a supplier here though. $7 a pound! Don't remember how much Fleet enema costs, sure it is more than the potassium phosphate salt sold online as well. You could call hydroponic shops to see if they sell salts but my local ones don't.

I have bought a lot of fertilizer salts here. Perhaps lurking on SnS will score you some small amounts of each for less.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
i can only do a few month supply at first just to get me through this rough patch and then i'll buy a year or two's worth, not sure how much i need but i'll probably end up with a pound or two of npk+csm+b and added iron and gh booster

Im not sure exactly what you are looking for, but from what I have seen my prices when shipping is included it the cheapest you will find. I also have most every fertilizer that you are going to need. If you are still looking pm me with what you are looking for and I will let you know if I can help you out.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168153

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode