co2 - 30 vs 40ppm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
co2 - 30 vs 40ppm

If fish are doing fine at 40ppm co2, is it a perfectly acceptable alternative to going back to keeping it at 30ppm?

Main reason I ask is because with my Spray-bar being positioned where it is, as the water level even lowers 1/2" I start noticing a decrease in co2 levels. The lowest it gets is 1" decrease in water level prior to doing my weekly water change. co2 generally goes from 30 to low 20's, so a 7-8ppm drop. If I get my co2 up to 40ppm, it doesnt drop below 30ppm.

I could obviously refill 1/2 through the week, or even lower the spray-bar, but... besides those options, is the 40ppm ok, or will I have algae or other problems from it.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
you won't have algae problems from high co2, but it's possible that you will if you lower the co2 level from 30 to low 20's mid-week. My suggestion...If your fish are fine at 40 and you have no algae problems, keep it there. And then find out why you are losing so much water over a week and fix that. Unless your tank is open top i don't think you should be losing 1" of water over a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
it is an open-top paludarium with high lighting (5.3 or so wpg). the evaporation is unfortunantly expected. but.. it is a good reminder to get on the ball and get my weekly water changes done

Thanks for the input on the co2 level!

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have two open top tanks (40g and 125g). I keep an empty 1g water jug in the bathroom and use it to top off the tanks every other day or so. The 40 can lose about a half a gallon every other day, while the 125 takes about 2-3 gallons mid-week.

As for the CO2 concentration, in an open top tank with healthy plant growth you probably don't need to worry about too much CO2. I've let the CO2 levels in my 40g get above 80ppm during the day (CO2 turns off at night). The plants pearl so much that O2 is plentiful throughout the night. Fish and shrimp are all doing great in there.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
I've let the CO2 levels in my 40g get above 80ppm during the day (CO2 turns off at night). The plants pearl so much that O2 is plentiful throughout the night. Fish and shrimp are all doing great in there.
Holy Smoke! What kind of reactor are you using? I struggle to keep 30 ppm...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFIsh1
Holy Smoke! What kind of reactor are you using? I struggle to keep 30 ppm...
It's a DIY 2" diameter PVC reactor that's about 14" long and powered by a Mag3 pump. CO2 was pumped in at about 2.5-3 bps to reach that level.

óBill

|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Thats awesome. I just put in a DIY reactor probably much like yours but I am running it with a canister filter. Maybe a dedicated pump is in order. Do you run the pump in the tank or inline?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFIsh1
Thats awesome. I just put in a DIY reactor probably much like yours but I am running it with a canister filter. Maybe a dedicated pump is in order. Do you run the pump in the tank or inline?
The pump is run external and is running at full output capacity. I do have a ball valve on it, but never have used it to reduce flow. Any CO2 that gets expelled from the spraybar (which I have mounted at the bottom of the tank, blowing up and against the back wall of the tank) is in the form of very fine bubbles that dissolve before reaching the surface.

óBill

|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 PM

Looks like I am gonna need to get more flow through the thing then. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode