Calcium deficiency - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Calcium deficiency

I have been having problems with new anubias leaves being crinkled and small, down turned tips of leaves and holes in old leaves. I have tried pretty much every dosing combination to fix this with no avail. I recently read about calcium deficiency and I thin this could be my problem. The area I live in has naturally soft ground water and it comes out of the tap at about 6.6 pH 7 kH. I saw that this is a very rare problem but after inspecting a snail today with a very think and flaky shell, im pretty sure this is the culprit.

What is the best way to deal with this problem? I thought about equilibrium but I have seen alot of complaints about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
there is nothing wrong with equilibrium.

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
There is also GH booster which supplies Ca and Mg, and some K as well.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have used equilibrium and have not had a problem with it. The only thing that I have noticed with it is it sometimes leaves a bit of stuff in the bucket I premix it in.

|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for your help! I ordered a gH test and Fluval Shrimp Mineral thing that should be in today so I will pick up some equilibrium and call it a day.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use equilibrium to get some of the trace and K that has in it and also mosura mineral plus. I would say equilibrium is safe for shrimp IME. I keep CRS, CBS, OEBTs and blue velvets. Plants are doing great.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

VN tank. What is the difference between fluval shrimp mineral and equilibrium? I got some off amazon for like 4 dollars so i decided to try it. Seems like it will be a liquid and equilibrium is a solid.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
VN tank. What is the difference between fluval shrimp mineral and equilibrium? I got some off amazon for like 4 dollars so i decided to try it. Seems like it will be a liquid and equilibrium is a solid.
I think fluval is just Ca and Mg and Seachem Eq. has trace elements like iron and Mn etc.

I use some Seachem Eq. because of that reason.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got my gH test in and found out my tap comes out at ~2. I am planning on increasing it to 6 do you think that is sufficient?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

That should be enough, 6dGh is very good.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure how this would apply to plants, but with my snails and shrimp I throw in some cuttlebone (like you would use with parakeets/budgies) into the water to add calcium, and I have noticed that it really helps. Not sure if this would affect plants or not but it'd be worth a try I guess

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cuttlebone, coral sand, oystershell grit, limestone sand and similar materials will decompose slowly, adding minerals to the water and raising the pH. While each of these are slightly different, mostly they are calcium carbonate. Some are a blend of Calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

They dissolve slowly.

When I have needed to keep the GH (or KH) up in a tank I make the new water for water changes to the specs I want, adding Seachem Equilibrium for GH and baking soda for KH. In the filter or in the tank I have at least one of the items listed in my first sentence, often 2 of them. They are fine for stabilizing the situation, but do not dissolve so fast that I would want to do a water change with softer water and depend on them to make the water harder.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode