EI on a large tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI on a large tank

Ok I understand the EI Thing.

Makes a lot of sense. Keeps all Nutrients in abundance without the need for testing BUT........

I have a big tank (175G) and doing a 50%-75% water change is a big deal and takes a lot of time. So my question is two fold
1) Any advice on managing nutrient concentrations on large tanks without the need to WC
2) Any experience with EI on a large tank and making the WC thing less of a pain in the ...

Feeling Lazy Aquarist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 125 planted and I've been using the EI method. I use a python and it doesn't take more than a few minutes. I fill straight into the tank which I was nervous about at first but all the fish are fine. There was just a thread on water changes if you want some more ideas.
Heather
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I built a water changing aid.

http://rexgrigg.com/wciii.jpg

It works well for both emptying and filling the tank. You could build a couple and go from there. I can drain ~25 gallons of water from my 55 gallon tank in about 10-12 minutes using gravity and a hose.

Filling takes a bit longer due to the use of a smaller hose and low water pressure.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
I was just about to suggest building what Rex uses, but he beat me to it. Water changes on my 85gal are going to take a while so I plan on building a similar device. It sure beats just leaving the Python hose in there and worrying about sucking up a fish....

As for refilling, it's not a problem so long as you add your dechlorinator/conditioner during the refill process.

You -could- do smaller water changes, but you'll have to test your NO3/PO4 levels more frequently to ensure you're not getting too much of a build up.

- Erik
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you want to avoid work, get a smaller tank or use the monkey brains we all have and put it to use.

A simple device as shown above will work fine, large diameter drain hoses, automatic water changers, Python styled water changers are a snap.

I use a simple drain valve hard plumbed to a 350 gal tank, I can change and refill 200 gal in about 1 hour.

I can trim while draining and refilling an clean the glass.

I spend about 2 hours total on the tank a week, that's it and it's got high maintenance plants, aquascape.

But if you prefer, there is no reason you must do 50% weekly water changes, it's merely a baseline for folks having issues, but you can do less and dose a bit more conservatively and use the plant's health as the indicator you need to add more.

You can do 25% weekly, or 50-70% once every 2 weeks etc.
That is up to you ansd what works for your habits.

I greatly prefer having the option to do a large water change easily.
Make the water change easier and faster.

Automatic water changers also work well.
I prefer easy manual changes. A large diameter drain hose to outside or a drain, and a simple refill hose attached to a bath faucet is simple enough, add a valve to shut off near the tank.

You are done.

Should take about 1 hour or less to do the tank and you can clean and trim during that time.

Regards,
Tom Barr
3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
[email protected] Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode