6 years, time to look into correctly fertilizing tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
6 years, time to look into correctly fertilizing tank

After having a planted tank for over six years I think itís time to figure out my fertilizers. I hope you can help me out.

I have a 40 Gallon breeder tank. 36Ē X 18Ē X 16Ē, 2 watts per gallon, and DIY CO2. The DIY CO2 has been on and off over the years. Currently Iím running it again.
30% water change while gravel vac every week and add Florapride fertilizer (0,0,3) 1 capful added after the water change.
The tank has always done well, some algae will grow on old leaves of some of my plants, but not too bad. I have a much lighter fish load then I used to and feed less as well. Recently I had some BGA start to grow over some of my plant leaves. Looking around the forums I read where low nitrates can cause this. I tested my water and was just barely able to detect any. I always thought that was a good thing.
I purchased Flourish Nitrogen (1.5,0,2) and have been adding 1 capful after my water change on Sat. and again on Wed. I have noticed since that time several of my plants have responded very well. So I started to do more search here on what fertilizers might help rid the algae growing on old leaves and make the plants happier in general.

What I have purchased so far:
Greenlight Stump Remover (NO3)
Fleet Enema (PO4)

What I still think I need
Nu / No Salt (KCL)
Flourish Trace? I think Iíve read somewhere here that this is not needed as most tap water contains items that Trace has. Correct me if Iím wrong, not any one with stock in Seachem.

So the next questions are:

To get my plants growing better, but I do not have to have them growing there absolute best, will the following items, 3 times a week help: Greenlight Stump Remover (NO3),
Fleet Enema (PO4), and Nu / No Salt (KCL)?

What amount might be needed of each?

Can they all be given on the same day?

Would it be better not to gravel vac as much?

The Stump Remover is a powder, do you mix the amount needed in a separate container of water and then dump into the tank, or is it ok to dump the powder in the tank? I myself would want to mix it in another container, but just checking in case I get lazy.

I will most likely think of some other questions after I post this.
Thanks for the help.

Check out my website pictures and info on my fish and tanks, carnivorous plants, bonsai, nature and wildlife photos, woodworking, and other pets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 08:41 AM

In addition to what you've already got, you need Fe and traces. This you can get from Flourish (as opposed to Flourish Trace), TMG or CSM+B.

The CSM+B and other ferts can be ordered from Greg Watson at www.gregwatson.com.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Instead of KCl, as a source for K, I would suggest K2SO4. You don't want to add Cl ions to any large amount. If you can afford it, I would suggest converting to pressurized CO2. You set it once a year and pretty much forget about it until your tank needs refilling. Your BBA could be attributed to too low CO2 content. Most people with planted tanks don't vaccuum the gravel except when we uproot/re-arrange plants. You don't want to add traces and iron on the same day you add NO3 and PO4.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses.

I was looking into the Nu / No Salt (KCL) because I can easily get it at the grocery store. I have not really looked into it yet but were is a easy source to obtain the Potassium sulphate (K2SO4)-Also called sulphate of potash (SOP)? Would garden centers have this?

Check out my website pictures and info on my fish and tanks, carnivorous plants, bonsai, nature and wildlife photos, woodworking, and other pets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
www.gregwatson.com for all your bulk fertilizer needs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Seriously, order from Greg- it's inexpensive and you save yourself the hassle of chasing around trying to find the right thing! Been there, done that... have all kinds of weird things sitting on my shelves that I am glad did not end up in my tank!!

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode