To much CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
To much CO2?

Can CO2 be overdone? I know that the water can only be saturated to a certain point, but is there any danger in aiming for total saturation in a plant only tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually ill follow that post also cuz i freaking nearly killed everyone in the tank cuz of my new DIY Paintball co2. The tank of co2 blew up super strong and the fish got mad dizzy.
Please ya'll how much co2 !?!

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Estimated 33ppm..I said it once and someone came back (I think a NASA Scientist ,sarcasm,) "HOW DO YOU Actually know its 33ppm kH/pH chart, THATS not a good measuring tool" Whatever... it's close enough.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

You can definitely have too much. What I have to done to saturate with out killing fish is. Everyday or so turn up the bps a little and see how fish and plants react to the change. I also have a drop checker but usually if it's too high you can tell because the fish can't breath before you drop checker changes. Also make sure you can stick around for about an hour when you turn it up. I've learned this the hard way several times with some really expensive fish. When the fish are gasping for air that's too much as long as you are there when this starts happening and turn back down the co2 the fish should be fine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Guys... He's talking about in a plant-only tank. Meaning no fish.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Algae Grower

Ah sorry didn't see that.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schomin View Post
Ah sorry didn't see that.
Nah don't be. It's good information nonetheless. Just not what the OP is looking for.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah i know safe ranges for fish, but plant only propagation tanks and the like. CO2 drops the ph but once its totally saturated will the ph go any lower? Any other negative effects on plants or water parameters when going for full CO2 saturation?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Technically, you can't saturate your water with CO2. Soda water is about 1,300ppm CO2. Even that isn't saturated.

The more CO2 you put in, the more and faster it escapes to the atmosphere and is wasted.

For a plant-only tank, it would be far more efficient to limit losses with reasonable CO2 levels, say 100ppm. Then combine that with strong current, because the amount of CO2 plants are able to extract from the water is determined by concentration times flow. That will likely provide all the CO2 plants could possibly use.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
u can saturate water at a given pressure

look up lake nyos. it killed a bunch of people because of super saturation. there are like 4 liters of c02 stored in 1 liter of water at its lowest depths

you can't do that at anywhere near sealevel pressures

the safe range for fish is determined by oxygen levels of the tank really. 2-3 ppm of oxygen gives u no wiggle room and 30ppm c02 will like stress or kill your fish
likewise well oxygentated tanks in the 8-13 ppm range can go above 50 ppm 60 and 70 range in c02 and still have healthy swimming fish

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
you can add much as co2 you want in your tank, but all the co2 would be wasted if system lack in ferts and lights, if they both are low then you will notice no difference with using tons of co2. there is no limit for ppm, you can go higher than many people think, but this depends on your KH as well. 0 kh mean no ppm could be calculated and if you happen to measure the co2 in ppm you will find hundreds of ppm of co2, which will make you think that you have too much co2, even though its not.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Just to brainstorm a bit: If I had a plants only tank, and wanted to maximize the plant growth rate, I think I would use pearling as my guide. I would raise the bubble rate enough to get good pearling of all plants. Of course I would also dose per the EI method, and make sure I had high light - maybe 60-80 micromols of PAR. And, I would probably try a wet/dry filter to keep as much oxygen in the water as I could. Adding more CO2 wouldn't hurt anything that I can think of. And, running the CO2 24 hours a day every day would waste CO2, but not hurt anything, while it would help discourage algae from starting.

Hoppy
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would running that much CO2 make the ph drop really low? Most of us get decent ph drops with regular use co2 in the safe range for fish, but would a ton of CO2 make the water super acidic?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
Would running that much CO2 make the ph drop really low? Most of us get decent ph drops with regular use co2 in the safe range for fish, but would a ton of CO2 make the water super acidic?

i use to run alot of co2 and kh was 0 and it can become very acdic, but no harm to fish or plants. if you have some Kh in your water then the PH will not keep droping as you think.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info everyone

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode