Did I over due it??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did I over due it???

This week is my first week using GW's fertzs and EI method. From what I have studied all my dosings are correct except for the CSM Plantex with extra iron. I have been dosing according to chucks calaulator and on intervels as well as everyone else. With the plantex I am dosing 2 tablespoons. Today was my first full dose of plantex and what a SOB that was. My water turned BROWN. I waited about an hour and it didn't get any better so I did an 50% water change. I have read a thread about this by Aquafish, and he decribed it as green water. I don't think that is what it is. It was just brown like pond water. Instincts told me even before I dosed it that it was to much; but as usual I didn't listen. My question is was it to much; or do you think I should have waited longer. Oh when I mix the stuff with warm water it turns green is this normal. Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Did you dump 2 Tbsp of CSM in the tank?....lol

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
you probably dosed 50 times too much if you dumped two tablespoons of CSM into the tank. where did you get the idea of dosing 2 tbsp CSM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong
LOL i think you overdosed it. Arent you suppose to mix the CSM at 2tablespoons per 500mL? And add around 5mL of the solution per 20 gallons of water?

Ray

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Don't worry... you're not the first one to ever do something like this!

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Holy $#!? I am surprised I didn't kill my fish. After further reading, 5 minutes ago, you are supposed to make a solution with 1 tablespoon to an half liter of water. I am such a newbie. What I did the first time was just dump the whole 2 Tbls. in with a small cup of hot water. Well since I did a 50% water change I'm guessing I still have too much CSM in there. I will do another 50% water change tommorow when my plants get here. That would also explain why my plants look yellow and burnt, since I dosed one tablespoon on Mondaay. Alright one more question while I am at it. Now on Chucks downloadable calculator he has an option for dry dosing macros. I have been doing that also since Monday. Do I have to make a solution for those as well or should
I continue dry dosing? I'm dosing .25 teaspoon of P04, .50 teaspoon of KN03, and 2 teaspoons of mono pottasium every other day.
I guess I am the laugh of the forum but thats just me. LOL LOL
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Don't worry about it. We've all done stupid things, it's the best way to learn. You say you've done 2 50% water changes. If it were me, I'd do a couple of complete cycles of water changes - perhaps have one hose emptying out the tank, while a second is feeding water in at about the same rate. I would do this for a couple of tankful cycles. You really have an incredible excess of micros in there.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
So having done this, do you believe that high Fe or Cu or Mn causes problems other than the staining or the water brown?

It might make you feel better to know I set a timer incorrectly, I wanted it on for 6 minutes, I actually set it off for 6 minutes, sio the dosing pump added 4 liters of Flourish trace into a 350 gal tank full of shrimp and fish.

It did not hurt a thing after 6 days.

Just do a water change to re set any thing you louse up.
Water changes are a very simple tool.

While messding up is more common than we like to admit, we also learn how far you can push things.

I thought my K2SO4 was KNO3 ansd the KNO3 was K2SO4, I was adding 60ppm of NO3 for several weeks back over a decade ago.

So now I know that excess, serious excess of traces eg the Cu in them even at the rec levels I suggest are at least a magnitude higher than the a problem levels for algae, death of fish/shrimps etc.

Same with KNO3, perhaps less so, but still a pretty wide margin of error is built in to the assumptions with EI.

I honesty do not know upper ranges of many of these nutrients we dose before we see a problem with algae/plant growth, most of the limits are bounded by fish health or simply some very wasteful methods far beyond any need of a plant.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

My tank water is yellow from the CSM+B that I just started using. I mixed 1tbsp with 250ml, dosing 4ml per 10 gallons, so 20ml three times a week. Perhaps I should try a different source next time I buy? I know know most people do not have yellow tank water! I haven't kept it in the fridge, but it was this dark right from the start, not really pleased with the effect, though the plants are loving it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
Did you dump 2 Tbsp of CSM in the tank?....lol

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
No pics?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

Here's one I took today. I will do a water change this weekend, will see how much it helps. The tank was a bit stained before with tannins from the potting soil but now it's really quite fluorescent yellow! Not sure if you can see this from the picture. Please don't be too harsh, this is my first planted tank and I just set it up Feb/Mar :-)

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

Here's a closer one, still hard to see. Lol, my glass is really dirty and my camera abilities are to be desired.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
um 4ml per 10 gallons? try just doing 8 ml

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

the tank is 55 gallons, the instructions I was using said 4ml per 10 gallons, so I dosed 20 ml. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode