bubbles on waters surface? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cannonj22
bubbles on waters surface?

What do I do about bubbles on my water surface? I change the water every day. I just came over a bout of ich, and treated it successfully with Malachite Green. The pH is 6.0 and the tank is kept at 88 degrees. It's aerated heavily via a sponge filter and has an additional power filter on the back. There is no substrate, and the only inhabitants are 8 medium sized Altum Angels (Pterophyllum altum). There is also no light on the tank. What are causing these bubbles, and how do I get rid of them?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just a guess, but is there a layer of surface scum? You might have to turn off the filter for a few minutes to see it but it is very likely there is a protein* rich scum that is allowing bubbles to survive after they are formed by the filters.

There are many methods or scum removal. Some of the manual one involve draging a paper towel across the surface. Fish such as black mollies or snails sometimes eat it. There are also mechanical gadgets (*look for surface skimming; protein skimming is different and does not work well in fresh water. If I could have used a different word above I would have).

So take a look for an oily or white film and post back what you find.

Moved to Tucson.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lots of foam/bubbles on the water surface are indicitive of a high amount of dissolved organic wastes in the water.

You might try:

- Seachem Purigen in the filter

- (Even though I am going to get flamed for this) A bacterial supplement. Lots of people scream "snake oil" but these products aren't for instant cycling, they're for getting rid of dissolved organics. Good companies spend big bucks on research in isolating strains of bacteria that are the best organic waste degraders. I recommend adding Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Thera-P to all tanks one a week. You can buy this at Foster & Smith.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
You might try:

- Seachem Purigen in the filter

- (Even though I am going to get flamed for this) A bacterial supplement. Lots of people scream "snake oil" but these products aren't for instant cycling, they're for getting rid of dissolved organics. Good companies spend big bucks on research in isolating strains of bacteria that are the best organic waste degraders. I recommend adding Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Thera-P to all tanks one a week. You can buy this at Foster & Smith.
My tank has extremely high bioload, so I am all for reducing organics in water. That's why I have ordered Purigen to try, the product claim makes sense to me.

I might try the bacteria too if I can see some concrete study with hard measureable/quantifiable data, not just a pic of fish tank that supposedly went without water change for 6 months. Any good links?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cannonj22
Thanks for the replies everybody. Normally I would make the same diagnosis with the protein slime layer, but I seriously doubt that's it. Mainly because it's a bare bottom tank and I siphon it clean everyday. For the same reason I doubt it's built up Organic wastes. Unless their dissolved organic wastes and even still my water changes daily should take care of that. Plus it's a new tank and it's only been running for about 2 weeks.

On a side note, depending on what kind of fish you have, I've found that organic wastes in the water are more helpful than anything else. I keep South American species and the organic wastes always buffer the water toward the acidic side. The only time I have any trouble with a mild pH swing is when I actually do a legitimate gravel vac.

Joe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode