HELP!!! Upped Wattage/ Need new dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
HELP!!! Upped Wattage/ Need new dosing

I'm going to be upgrading my lighting from 3.25 wpg to 4.33wpg (Maybe 4.72wpg if I can fit another light.) I'm currently dosing 4ppm KNO3, 0.5ppm K2PHO4, 1/2tsp K2SO4 for macros, and 6ml csm+b with 1ml iron for micros in my 37 gallon. I keep co2 no lower than 45ppm(still getting BBA though). How do you think I should change my dosing to cater to the high lighting. BBA is the only algae I'm getting now and I'd hate to go through another BAD algae outbreak.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Out of curiosity, why are you adding more light? I would have thought that 3.2 would grow just about anything you want, but whatever floats your boat .

As far as your dosing, nutrients are obviously going to get eaten much quicker, but at what rate is for you to determine through water testing. I would start off on the same schedule and determine what the needs are through trial and error. One thing I would think about is increasing your phosphates. You are not going to get algae if you dose between 1 & 3 ppm assuming your other parameters are in check. You may also get rid of any green spot algae that you have.

Also, how are your fish acting with 45 ppm CO2.

That should get the ball rolling and now the experts can step in.

Brian
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Getting more light to help with red in plants and because my glandulosa only has leaves on the top inch or two of the stems and the rest is bare. I'm also doing it to get one of those 55 watt 9325k GE's in there. I really like the color of it. Fish are fine at that co2, as a matter of fact my ph sometimes falls to 6, or at least that's as low as the ph test goes. I have an Emperor 280 HOB filter and I guess with the heavy pearling I get and the filter the water has alot of oxygen. The only worrying me now is it's getting really hot down here in the South and I checked the temp in my tank today and it was 85 degrees, 7 more than normal, and the outside temp will rise into the mid to upper 90's in a month or two.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Everybody is using those 9325's. One of these days, I am going to have to try one of them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How in the hell did that happen.

Filstar pimp #53

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What's your KH at, if at near 6 pH? Because 45 ppm ought to nuke BBA in no time. Thats a really low pH, I believe. Could be hard on Rainbowfish.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Things are going great since I've started the Excel treatment. I might just put my extra 40 watt fixture on a seperate timer to kick on for 4 hours at midday. The extra light from the ah supply bright kit as compared to the previous 2 fixtures is incredible.

Filstar pimp #53

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode