Just bought some chems from a nursery - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 476
Just bought some chems from a nursery

So I'm not sure if these are just meant to go on terrestial plants and maybe aren't pure enough, so I thought I'd ask here for advice before I use them and make some sort of stupid newbie mistake and turn my tank into a toxic waste dump!

So here's what they had (and so what I bought). It's all in powdered form:

LABEL: Potassium Sulphate
ANALYSIS (on the back of the pack): K-41%, S-18%

LABEL: Iron Sulphate - Soluble
ANALYSIS: Fe-20%, S-11.5%

LABEL: Iron Chelate 13% - Soluble
ANALYSIS: Fe-13%

LBEL: Magnesium Sulphate - Epsom Salts - Soluble
ANALYSIS: Mg-9.6%, S-12.4%

What I'm concerned about is that if it's labelled Potassium Sulphate, how come it's only got 41% K and 18% S? Shouldn't the total be 100% if it's pure? Does it have impurities in it?

They also had 'Trace Elements' powder as well, but I didn't buy any of that because the total percentages of the Mg, B etc only came to about 2% so I was concerned what the other 98% of the powder might be, which was an olive/khaki colour. Was I being overly concerned for nothing?

And is the Mg in MgSO4 Epsom Salts really only 9.6% worth of the total? S being 12.4%, so the rest of it must be all O? I guess I'm showing my ignorance of chemistry now with all these questions!

Also, I got both types of Iron because I wasn't sure which was better. The blurb on the back of the Chelate pack says it's "more effective than inorganic Iron Sulphate. Chelate leaves less salt in the soil and is a very effective and safe micronutrient."

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or advice you might be able to share with me!
awrieger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Rex Grigg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Portland Orygun
Posts: 9,600
Those numbers look correct for the potassium sulfate. You are forgetting the O4 in your numbers (K2SO4).

Don't use the iron sulfate. Use the iron chelate.

The magnesium sulfate sounds correct. Normally it's listed as Mg2SO4 +7H20 There is a ton of water and oxygen in there.

With the trace elements the rest of the chemical is most likely chelating agents.
Rex Grigg is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 476
Thanks for the answers, Rex!

It's good to know I can use this stuff. It's only $7 for a half kilo packet, so it's quite a price saving on Seachem products (which are quite expensive here).

I might go back and get the Trace Elements as well then. It had a good amount of Mg and even Boron in it so I may not have to worry about getting any extra Boric Acid. Maybe not even need the MgSO4 I just got as well. (I don't know enough about it yet).

Thanks again.

PS. Your website was very helpful and informative for me, so thanks for that too.
awrieger is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome