Actual Dosing Techniques? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Actual Dosing Techniques?

How do you guys actually add these dry ferts to the water column? Do you just chuck them into the water column or do you dissolve them into a beaker first then apply them? Tom said to add trace elements to my fert regimen. What constitutes trace exactly?

Thanks!!
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Trace(micro) is trace element fertilizer, vs macro fertilizer (NPK). Plants need small amount of trace, and lots of macros.

Three popular traces: Tropica Master Grow, Seachem Flourish(regular, not Flourish Trace, actually few people use that), as well as Plantex CSM+B from Gregwatson.com. The first two(liquid form) can be bought in economical big jugs from bigalsonline.com. The last one is powder form, cheaper to use. TMG is Tom's favorite trace.

Many dose macros dry in the tank directly. Most dose trace diluted with water first, because it is hard to measure the tiny dry amounts of trace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i just get a plastic cup 1/4 full of tank water, chunk the dry mix in there, swirl, and pour. very technical technique and I only reccommend professionals attempt it You probably could get away with just chunking it right in the tank for a small dosing, but I always fear a fish will get too much of a mouth full... so, dissolve it as much as possible first.

the 2 best choices of traces are either Plantex CSM+B ( www.gregwatson.com ) or Flourish Trace.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I think I might actually have some burn spots on my plant leaves from dosing dry.... and a few of my fish have gotten too curious about the fertilizers and tried to eat it, so I've switched to mixing all the macros up in a little cup of water before I pour it around the tank in different places.

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
that's true, about some dry fert burning leaves in direct contact, and fish swallowing fert. I have a funny story about fish eating fert. You know that phosphates are laxatives(think Enema). Once I dosed some dry KH2PO4 in the tank, my gold severum swallowed a sizable chunk of it. Within a minute, it starts vomitting tetra colorbits from its mouth, yikes

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
that's true, about some dry fert burning leaves in direct contact, and fish swallowing fert. I have a funny story about fish eating fert. You know that phosphates are laxatives(think Enema). Once I dosed some dry KH2PO4 in the tank, my gold severum swallowed a sizable chunk of it. Within a minute, it starts vomitting tetra colorbits from its mouth, yikes

Craig

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 04:02 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the PPS system which is to measure the dry ferts.and mix them in 500ml of water. Then i dose useing the syringe that comes with the seachem ferts..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
I like the PPS system which is to measure the dry ferts.and mix them in 500ml of water. Then i dose useing the syringe that comes with the seachem ferts..
This works well and is more accurate(see Trace elements comment).

Questuion is, do you need that accuracy when your test kits are not that accurate to begin with?

Ahh....

Wonder how I know these things and know the accuracy ranges of test kits?
I considered that issue abotu 10 years ago.
PMDD suggested adding KNO3/MgSO4 etc into 500mls of water a long time ago. I did not think it was useful then, nor now.

Adding a level 1/4 teaspoon directly to the tank causes no issues and is easy.
I hate liquids laying around, dribbling all over.

You also need to convert the ppm ranges of the dry ferts you add to the mls you dose.

That added step for the chem challenged can cause issues.
PPS is what folks did prior to EI dosing methods. Everyone tested and added what was removed by the plants. we did not call it that, we called it monitoring the tank's parameters. See ww.sfbaaps.com
We did that a long time ago and established many of the parameters folks now use.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
[email protected] Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode