What the hell is going on? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What the hell is going on?

For starters I added another 2L bottle to my DIY co2 monday.Taht makes 2 in all. Within 24 hours I had green water and 2 dead fish. So Thursday I did a 75 percent water change and cleaned my substrate. This morning after a 2 hour photo period I check my water. Results as follows:
pH 6
kH 5 degrees
gH 1
Ammonia 0
NO3 0
Phosphate ?
iron?
Potassium?
According to the co2 chart I over 100 ppm. There is no way. What gives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

That is what i got too. A Ph of 6 and a Kh of 5 would = 150 ppm of co2. Your Ph should not be any lower than 6.6. The Co2 of 150 would kill fish but i dont think it would cause green water unless you have too much nutrients in the water. My suggestion is to raise the Ph to 6.6 by means of degassing the water or less Co2 and or more water circulation.

BigFoot

Have a nice day!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
It's hard to believe you can get that much co2 from 2 2liter bottles in a 75. My guess is that your ph or kh kits are off - I would look into that.

You say your nitrates have zeroed out. That's part of your problem. Get those up around 10ppm, get your phosphates around 2-3ppm and make sure you're dosing your micros. Your tank is out of whack (balance).

You've started towards correction - major water change, gravel vac etc. Then figure out what your real co2/kh/ph is, and start a regular dosing regimen. Good luck.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Perhaps the mixture got sucked into the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think my ph kit is that off but it may. I have done numorus test with the kit" Hagen Master Kit". As for the mixture leaking into the tank problem, I run the outfeed co2 line through an 3rd bottle of plain water to prevent that.
I am getting @ 1.75 to 2 bubbles a second through my Eheim intake. Before I added the second bottle I was getting .75 to 1 bubbles a second. My pH was 6.8 and kH was 4 then.
My ferts should be here today. I will start EI tomorrow. Is there anything else that has to in line for the pH/kH co2 chart to work? Please comment if you can.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Perhaps the mixture got sucked into the tank?
The alcohol from the DIY CO2 could have killed the fish, but what about the green water?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I run the outfeed co2 line through an 3rd bottle of plain water to prevent that.
Whoops! That explains that!

I am a slow typist!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
ok then, could be your DIY is really effective. Too much CO2/low ph => dead fish => NH3/NH4 => green water. NH3 can be unmeasureable and still cause green water, according to Tom. Or is dead fish coincidence, have you added new fish lately?

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't added new fish in 3 weeks. I did notice when I added the second bottle my dano's laid down on the substrate. That was wierd because those crazy fish act like they are on crack. The never stop moving. My gouramis were gaspong a little but my rasboras were fine. Within 12 hrs one zebra and one gourami was dead. They seem to be fine now eating and everything. That was of 12 pm Friday. I will be getting off in thirty minutes. When I get home I'll check everything again.T hanks for all the comments. This site and you guys are awesome. I will post my results tonight.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

To update, when I got home this morning I started to degass my water by means of an airstone. I later checked my ph/kh it was ph 6.8 kh 6 . I also went to my LFS to get some loaches, frogs, swords and some Equillebrium. It is sosposed to raise my gh. It did . Now I am just waiting on my ferts to come in for GW. Sad thing is I think my green water is trying to come back I have a UV sterilizer on order as well.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My guess would be that the DIY overdosed your tank and the decaying fish gave you green water. I've had this happen before.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

I had GW in the begining(who doesnt)butt i got around it by reading and meeting some people on plant tank site like this one. They helped me and still are helping to make my tank balance out which is going well. The uv steralizer is a waste of money imo. It does nothing to fix the root problem which cause the GW in the first place. My advice is to read as much about plant tanks as you can. Then you can chose a fert. system that will work best for you like pps and ei both are very good system. Which will fix the imbalance of your tank thus getting rid of GW.

BigFoot

Have a nice day!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoperator
I haven't added new fish in 3 weeks. I did notice when I added the second bottle my dano's laid down on the substrate. That was wierd because those crazy fish act like they are on crack. The never stop moving. My gouramis were gaspong a little but my rasboras were fine. Within 12 hrs one zebra and one gourami was dead. They seem to be fine now eating and everything. That was of 12 pm Friday. I will be getting off in thirty minutes. When I get home I'll check everything again.T hanks for all the comments. This site and you guys are awesome. I will post my results tonight.
Look, try using a DIY CO2 reactor, there's one on my site and plug it into the light timer.

Use 2 bottles staggered.

Now, go get a Gas tank CO2 system and do a 75 gallon tank right.
DIY can be variable, it'll produce a lot in the first few hours/day and then decline.

The DIY reactor is good at self regulating the amount of gas going into your tank.

A lot of DIY fed into the filter will effect the bacteria which could have encouraged the GW due to changing the NH4 till the bacteria adapted.

It sounds like it was a CO2 over dose to me.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
[email protected] Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode