First Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Ferts

Hi,

I'm just getting into the hobby and need some suggestions of the "first ferts" I should purchase. Currently, I only have TE Flourish.

Should I purchase from GregWatson.com? If so, which chemicals should I purchase?

Thanks,
BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Start off with 3lb of KNO3 and 1lb each of KH2PO4 and K2SO4. The latter you may never need, but it's not expensive and you'll have if you do ever need it.

You might also order 1lb of CSM+B if you want to get away from buying bottles of Flourish.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, and depending on the hardness of your water you may want to order some Calcium Chloride (CaCl3).

You might also be able to find this at places like Lowes or HomeDepot where they sell supplies for dehumidifiers, but it's usually more expensive per pound at those places.

—Bill

|

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Actually if you are doing to suggested levels you will go though a LOT more K2SO4 than KNO3.

I recommend that you buy about 2-3x as much K2SO4 than KNO3. If you need phosphates then you will need KH2PO4, and a pound will last a very long time.

If you also want traces you can order the Plantex CSM+B. A pound will last a very long time with this one also.

If you have very low gH get some calcium chloride. You can get Epsom Salts anywhere for the other half of the gH. Baking soda works just fine if you have low kH.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies...

I forgot to mention, that I'm going to be staring a 29 gallon tank. So are the specified weights still appropriate?

How about:

KNO3 (2 lb)
K2SO4 (3 lb)
CaCl2 (1 lb)
KH2PO4 (1 lb)

Aloha
BC
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW... I just went through a "mock-checkout" and found to my dismay that shipping will be $46.64 for the above listed fert. order....

How much are you guys charged for shipping from gregwatson.com? Looks like I need an alternative...
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:29 PM
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
If you *are* just getting into the hobby, then maybe playing with chemistry and costly shipping are discouraging. Try looking for the KENT line of plant ferts, or Dupla.
The reason for such costly shipping, besides the weight, is because they're chemicals.

You can also see if any of your local fish club members have any PMDD supplies they're willing to sell/trade you.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of
. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

Dont worry about the costly shipping. You will still save a lot of money in the long run with Greg's ferts. vs seachem or any in store bought fert.

BigFoot

Have a nice day!!!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

BC,
A couple of things. First, email Greg and ask if he can ship using a USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail box. Then your shipping would be only $7.70.

Second, you may want to try and find out where the local golf courses get their fertilizers from. You may be able to get them in bulk for way cheaper using that route.

In the mean time go to Lowes or Home Depot and look for either Grants or Greenlight stump remover (it'll be in the section where they sell weed killers and stuff). Both are pure (as far as everyone can tell) KNO3. Here in CA it's about $5/lb so it's not a cheap source but it'll do in a pinch, or when you only need a small amount anyway.

For PO4 you can use Fleet Enema which Wal-Mart sells for cheap. Just make sure you get the plain enema with no perfumes or other additives. If you go this route I can give you general dosing guides.

Finally, I just purchased a 50# bag of K2SO4 from a lawn maintenance supplier so I can ship you several pounds of that in a USPS flat rate box for $7.70 if Greg will not use USPS as a shipper.

—Bill

|
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's actually illegal to ship KNO3 via the USPS.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

i got my order from greg by USPS and it had potassium nitrate in the order???? maybe uncle sam just dont know whats going in the box?

29 gal tank 2 55 watt coralife with GE 9325K diy co2 100% Eco-Complete
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright... Just sent a email requesting the flat rate box to Greg, we'll see what you says! Crossing my fingers...

Also, one of you said buying the Seachem liquid ferts. would be more exspensive. Is this really true? And when you say, "the long run" how long is this time period?
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah, only 20-50 times more expensive

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_hawaii
Also, one of you said buying the Seachem liquid ferts. would be more exspensive. Is this really true? And when you say, "the long run" how long is this time period?
One set of Seachem N, P, and K 250ml bottles runs about $12 at Big Al's. You can get 2 lbs each of KNO3 and K2SO4, plus a pound of KH2PO4 for the same amount, which should make several gallons (at least) of comparable concentration N, P and K solutions.

—Bill

|
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is the skinny on Seachem products.

If you are dosing 60gallons of water with Flourish Potassium you would need 100 ml to get to 20 ppm.

If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Phosphorus you would need to dose 48 ml to get to 1 ppm.

If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Nitrogen you would need to dose 30 ml to get to 10 ppm.

Flourish Potassium is $6 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 5 weeks. Cost would $1.25 a week to dose potassium.

Flourish Phosphorus is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle would last you 10 weeks. Cost would be 75¢ a week to dose Phosphorus.

Seachem Nitrogen is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 16 weeks. Cost would be 47¢ a week to dose nitrates.

Total cost for one dose a week with Seachem $~2.75. Note there is no shipping factored in here and there are some rounding errors.

To dose the same tank with bulk nutrients from Greg......

Nitrates 2¢ a dose.
Phosphates .2¢ a dose. Note that 5 doses for a penny.
Potassium 4¢ a dose.

Total cost for one dose a week with Greg Watson 6.2¢

That's 44X the cost to use Seachem products.

Note these prices do not include shipping charges and there are some rounding errors.

So that pretty much settles that one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode