RO/DI water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO/DI water

In setting up my new tank I plan to use my RO/DI water. I have been advised to use Kent's RO Right and a buffer as an additive to keep my PH stable.
All the buffer I have found are phosphate based. Is that ok and do I go by the directions on the labels or is there a better formula.

Our tap water is horrible and eventually if I am lucky I want to raise fry one of these days.

I want to do this right from the beginning. Any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,
Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Jim

I would avoid adding any phosphate-based buffers. You want to be able to fine tune your PO4 levels and this will just wreak havoc in your tank. I use RO Right in my RO water and don't add anything else. pH is maintained with a controller, as part of my overall CO2 system.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 PM

do NOT use phosphate buffers. for one they won't last long, and secondly they'll spawn the nastiest algae you've seen.
if you can't get RO Right or a simliar product, use baking soda to increase Kh and pH to safe fish levels. (3dKh is needed before you inject CO2, too)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid
Our tap water is horrible and eventually if I am lucky I want to raise fry one of these days.

I want to do this right from the beginning. Any suggestions or advice.
Paulette, how horrible is your tap water? Are you sure it isn't suitable for 95% of the fish you would want to keep? Often ppl think you "need" soft water to keep fish and plants that origin from soft water areas. And that is not true.

Most of the water that comes out of taps in this country is safe for drinking and, after dechloring it, great for fish and plants.

If you need to use RO water because you want to raise Discus and Chocolate Gouramies, you might want to consider using your tap water to mix with RO water in whatever ratio is needed to get to where you want to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Use Baking soda for KH, add SeaChem equilbrium for GH.

Your water in TN is fine FWIW.
We know folks there in your home town that grow plants, Ms Nash at the Public Aquarium downtown there in particular.

You can blend the tap to get a mix of KH/GH, of at least 3 degrees for each.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
just because someone is in the same town doesn't mean that their tap water has the same properties. my lfs has tap water thats quite hard, 8.2-8.8 ph and KH through the roof. I've recently found out through my city water company that even in the same city system, we have several different pumping stations, each pulling from different wells with different water chemistry. My water, in contrast to the lfs, comes out of the tap with a kh of 80-100ppm and a GH of 50-75ppm. drastically softer than the lfs. I mistakenly believed (and so do most people, including the owner of the lfs) that because we were both in the same town and both on municipal water, that we were getting the same product. NOT TRUE. This information doesn't negate anything anyone else has said about preparing your water, except perhaps the last post by tom about what the tap water is like in your area. sure, it's *probably* the same or close, but not always.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions. What test brands are the best to use? In saltwater I used Salifert.

I guess the reason I am reluctant to use tap water is because of the phosphate problem I had with saltwater. Don't want to go there. I know it is required in smaller amounts in a PT but want to hedge the algae problem before it starts.

Thanks,
Paulette

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Do you know what the actual phosphate levels are? Many times the phosphate levels that cause problems in a SW tank are just fine in a planted tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, not exactly. Will test tonight and post tomorrow.

Please do not laugh but one of the reasons I have to use to RO/DI unit is if I don't, my husband will kill me. It costs me a bunch of money and he would have a fit if it just sat there. He has been so faithful helping me draw it up. I know if I sold it I would not get very much back. I have already lost a chunk in selling my other saltwater items.

Oh by the way, anybody need a skimmer? I got one.

Cheers,
Paulette

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid
Thanks for the suggestions. What test brands are the best to use? In saltwater I used Salifert.

I guess the reason I am reluctant to use tap water is because of the phosphate problem I had with saltwater. Don't want to go there. I know it is required in smaller amounts in a PT but want to hedge the algae problem before it starts.

Thanks,
Paulette
As I said, the tap water there is fine.

Oqsy, I know the town well, my relatives live there as well as a friend or two.
I also know the fear the poster is dealing with about the tap.
If you feel excess PO4 causes algae issue, I would suggest you offer some support there.

The issue with the tap is one of GH/KH, they may need to add more, but given the geology, which is limestone, I highly doubt the tap water will be too soft.

But water utilities do often use different sources and that can cause KH/Gh issues depending on their supplies and time of year, do not become complacent with KH/GH and there are no issues.

This is not a Reef tank, there are only a few variables in tap and RO is never needed except in 3 extremly rare cases, 2 of which were well water and high Sodium chloride and the tap was 2ppm of copper in another.

I did not suggest a specific pH to target, so the the water source would not matter unless it had something like Copper in it.

There are places in TN where there was a copper smelter, killed everything for miles around. You can request a water report and see what all is in it.
Often it's on line. PO4 is seldom measured, but additions help plant growth, so that's not an issue.,

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode