KH and PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH and PH

I only recently baught my first KH test kit, i got the API one.. i havent had the need for one because despite building a pretty nifty pres. co2 kit ive never built a good reactor or one that doesent leak. I tested my KH and its at 7, and the PH with the API kit seems to be 7.2..

this gives me about 13ppm of co2 (according to http://csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ ) which is supposed to be good enought.

but ive finaly found a company that will build me the external reactor to my exact requirements which should i say is just like the hofthizer.

once ive sent payments i should have it up and running. no leaks, easy access, and nice and durable black ABS...

but is my KH allready high enough? is there no point in useing co2 with this sort level?

2.7WPG
PH 7.2
KH 12
GH 11-12
Dosing
CSM+B
API Leafzone Fe+K2O

does the level of KH have any relivence to the amount of carbonic acid that is being created.

i dont have a target and all of my attempts at making reactors have never lowered the PH. could this of been because they was cack.. or do my parameters suggest that it could be the high KH thats allready present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
At the top, you mention per the KH kit that your KH level was 7. Below you restate your KH=12. A bit confusing.

I'll assume the 7 is accurate. Any KH level above 3, should be just fine. I have a KH of 7.5 (at drop 7, the liquid turns green, at drop 8, it transitions to full yellow, so I guestimate it at 7.5), and I've been happy with it. My target pH is 6.7-6.8 because I'm targetting a CO2 level > 30 ppm. So, I wouldn't do anything about your KH, but I would try to up the CO2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I have a simple DIY CO2 reactor that cost a whopping 2$ USD on my site for public view.

It will lower your pH.
13ppm is not enough CO2.
30ppm is.

Add enough CO2 to lower the pH to 6.9 or so.
Keep it there for the entire light peroid.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am using the reactor tom is taling about...
to me 10 mins to put together and work like a charm..
you might want look into it before you order some else to make it for you..IMO

BTW Thanks Tom..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
sorry BBS thats coz i was recalling my last know hardness before i typed out the KH.. your right i did mean a KH of 7.

i think this reactor will work, im sending the postal order off for it ASAP, its just 2 hose tails, to unions and a foot of 1.5inch pipe.

might stick some bioballs in there but nylon swarfe is just as good (so long as you clean any coolant or oil off it.)

ill bring up a new thread when i get it running but until then cheers.

atleast now i know its generaly right to be at that level...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode