Red Sea Marine Master Kit, work in fresh water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red Sea Marine Master Kit, work in fresh water?

I have the Red Sea Marine Master kit and was wondering if any of you knew if this would work with my FW tank. I am specifically interested in using the nitrate test, it would be great if I could save 10 bucks on buying a separate no3 kit.

-eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The calibration levels are usually quite different for salt water and fresh water. I have AP nitrate kit, which has one chart for fresh water, another for salt water. I also tested my AP saltwater calcium kit, the measurement is also different for freshwater and saltwater. So in general, you should assume that the saltwater kit can not be used directly to measurement freshwater, unless the kit has specific instructions to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Shalu, not the answer I wanted to hear, but a great answer... should help a lot of others.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 PM

Sorry but take that Master kit and throw it in the trash. This was my very first sw set of test kits and trust me don't rely on their reading or consistency. Spend a little more and get Salifert or Seachem but don't bother with Red Sea. Actually I even go further than saying that it's not only their test kits that are garbage it's nearly all the sw line. I have a skimmer and it was garbage ($450)+) from day one.

If you go to Big Al's you can get a A/P nitrate, nitrite kit for about $8.00 and that's money better spent and NO I wouldn't use sw test kits on fw *unless* they specify they are for both uses.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Here are the AP test kits that I've found to work in FW and SW:
Ammonia (uses 2 different color charts)
Nitrite
Nitrate (uses 2 different color charts)
Gh
Kh

I use Seachem brand for Phosphate and Calcium. I know the phosphate works in SW and FW. never tried the calcium kit in FW, but it should work (though testing calcium shouldn't be necessary in FW, normally).

I've heard a lot of bad comments on RedSea kits being inaccurate, and as I understand, some of their kits only tell you "low, medium, high" rather than giving numeric readings.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Malkore, how did you calibrate them to determine that they work?

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:51 AM

If you're talking about A/P test for both FW & SW they give you independent charts for both. The tests follow the same instructions it's just the different end result chart you check. They are very affordable and work great.

malkore I'm not impressed with Seachem's Calcium test kit. I've complained to them 2x and had them replace the kits 2x (very good customer service) only to find a new problem with the next kit. My current kit (and from what I've heard from other reefers this is a problem numerous people have with it) is off the readings by .5. Which is 50 off of my actual reading, for the money the test goes for I'd like it to be 100% accurate and not within 50. Have you ever encounted this problem? My next ca test kit will be Salifert, I have several of their test kits and they are not only easy to use but 100% accurate.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake fan
If you're talking about A/P test for both FW & SW they give you independent charts for both.
yes, but only for NO3 and Ammonia. There is no reason to believe the same color applies exactly for SW and FW for other kits(at least a sanity check with table salt is required), with one chart or same drop count. I tested and know for sure, it does not work for AP Calcium.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 04:12 PM

My AP nitrite kit said it's for FW and SW. I can't recall if it had two different color charts, but yes the nitrate and ammonia have separate charts.

I tested the AP Kh against my SeaChem alkalinity kit, converted the meq/L and found them to give identical results. It makes sense that general and carbonate hardness wouldn't be affected by the presence of salt.
SeaChem's phosphate kit is for FW or SW use, per the manufacturer.

I have no way to validate my calcium test kit with another test. I could use a calculator to make 1gallon of R/O have 400 ppm, and then test it to see if my kit is correct.
Salifert is a great brand, just a little better than SeaChem, IF you can understand their poorly translated instructions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode