Calcium-riddled water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Thumbs down Calcium-riddled water?

Okay, I'm pretty sure I have an over abundance of calcium in my water. I imagine that some calcium is good for an aquarium, but I think I might have too much, especially for a cruddy little 10-gallon. Everytime I splash some water on the side of my tank, and don't wipe it up right away, it leaves a rather bright white waterspot. Likewise, cleaning all the white calcium deposits off of my filter and other components has practically become a weekly chore. Is there anyway I can de-calcify my water? Actually more importantly, should I de-calcify the water? The guy at the LFS laughed when I told him about this and said I was into the wrong type of aquarium and that I should be doing saltwater. I don't think I'm ready to go that route just yet, but it's nice to know. Anywho, whats the deal? Is there any way I can test for calcium? Or remove it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
What is the GH and kH of your water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
What is the GH and kH of your water?
That's a good question. Today is pay day, so I suppose I'll hafta get a test kit and find out. Been meaning to get one for a while now. Might explain why my plants are growing like crap.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Are these real?

So depending on that... most plants grow good or better in hard water, but if it is really really hard you could cut it with RO/DI water to bring down the minerals a little.

But before you invest in something costly like that you should look into CO2 injection which can be a better way to improve plant growth and can be done easily and inexpensively...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

RO/DI water? What is that?

And yes, I do have a C02 system. It's the DIY variety with a ladder. Not the best method out there, but I couldn't justify the price of a pressurized system for a 10-gallon. My 55-gallon that I'm aquiring peices for will definately have a pressurized system though.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've always gotten those deposits also. My gh is 150ppm. Is the formula to convert ppm to dgh the same as dkh.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
I've always gotten those deposits also. My gh is 150ppm. Is the formula to convert ppm to dgh the same as dkh.
yes, 17.9ppm = 1 deg.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Are these real?

Pressurized CO2 for a 10 gal would be overkill So do you have problems with plant growth or is it just the unsighty spots that bother?

I made it a habit to wipe the tank down with a vinegar-drenched paper towel. Outside, inside while the water level is low, and the glass covers. Keeps these residues down, and is of course easier and cheaper than playing with RO (Reverse-Osmosis) / DI (De-ionized) water equipment.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Pressurized CO2 for a 10 gal would be overkill So do you have problems with plant growth or is it just the unsighty spots that bother?
I'm having problems with both, actually. I don't think my plants aren't growing like they should, although I just fabricated a polished aluminum reflector modeled after the one on AHsupply.com so I'm hoping that moves things along. It already made a visible improvement in the way my tank looks, so I'm optimistic. And yes, those unsightly spots are bothersome.

Quote:
I made it a habit to wipe the tank down with a vinegar-drenched paper towel. Outside, inside while the water level is low, and the glass covers. Keeps these residues down, and is of course easier and cheaper than playing with RO (Reverse-Osmosis) / DI (De-ionized) water equipment.
Oh yeah. Unfortunately I'm very familiar with the wonders of vinegar. My glass cover and portions of HOB filter get a good scrubbin' with it almost almost every week. Sucks.

Anywho, I went out tonight and bought a gH and kH test. If I've done everything correctly, my kh should be 71.6-89.5 ppm and the gH was about 322.2-358ppm. I can't gaurantee the accuracy of these test results since this was the first time I have ever performed a test like this. As far as the parameters themselves go, I really don't know what they mean aside from the quick explanation provided by the test kit. If I understand the kH/gH thing correctly, a high gH means I have some hard-ass water, and the low kH number means my pH levels can fly all over the place at will.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Hummm...........I had no problem growing a wide array of plants at a GH of 25 degrees, roughly 450 ppm.

For a 10 gal tank, the RO is a waste. Plants don't care.

If you are breeding or keeping wild Apisto's, perhaps. I'd do it with peat for a tank that size to exchange Ca/Mg.

Your tap is not the issue, CO2 and nutrients are.
We can address the nutrients easily, the CO2 is something you need to really work on, and see what it does through the entire time frame you do with your Brew changes, measure the pH right before the lights go out for how ever many days you leave between brew changes for the DIY CO2.

I think you'll find those measurement very telling when you compare them to the KH and then go to the pH/KH table to see what the CO2 levels are.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode