20 Gallon Anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
20 Gallon Anyone?

I currently have a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank. It's really my first high light tank, so I'm a little new at this. Anyway, my plants are doing okay, but many have defficiencies or just aren't growing very well. Specifficly I am having most problems with E. Stellatus and Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'. My tanks stats are:
68 total watts CF at 6500K
3- 2 liter bottles DIY co2
N-1/8 tsp KNO3 every other day
P-2 ppm via mono pottasium phosphate solution every other day
K-1/4 tsp K2SO4 every other day
50% water change every week
I cant get a good co2 reading, but it seems to be around 15 ppm which I know is too low, but I don't know how to fix it without getting pressurized, which I can affor yet. Does anyone have any suggestions, or would anyone with a 20 gallon post your stats on ferts and stuff? This would really help me out.

Thanks,
Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
With 3x2l DIY CO2 bottles, you should be able to get better CO2 ppm. How are you diffusing it into the tank? Do you have lots of turbulence on the water surface?

I'm betting CO2 is the major driver in the growth rate and deficiencies.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Kind of technical, but look through this,http://aquascapingjournals.com/journ...llon_setup.htm

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
With 3x2l DIY CO2 bottles, you should be able to get better CO2 ppm. How are you diffusing it into the tank? Do you have lots of turbulence on the water surface?
I'm diffusing the CO2 through the hagen ladder thing. The turbulence might be it though. I just have an Aquaclear 200, but the water level goes down fast because of evaporation (1/2-1 inch per day) and I don't have the time to top it off every day.

Quote:
Kind of technical, but look through this,http://aquascapingjournals.com/jour...allon_setup.htm
Technical, but very helpful.

Thanks,
Devin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didn't have time last night to explain what I'm going to try to do to reduce turbulence. First of all I think I will remove the Aquaclear 200 and put it on another tank. Then I will put my Whisper 10 filter on the tank. I will turn it down to the lowest flow possible for most of the time. I will setup new 2 liter bottles for co2, check them for leaks, and if there are none I will use them and "retire" the other ones. And if none of this helps, I will come back here and complain (just kidding). Another question though, if the co2 bottles start to work and I stop losing co2 to theh turbulance, will 3-2 liter bottles be too much?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I would think in a high light tank you could get by with 1 or or maybe 2 at the most. I know ONE 2-liter bottle with a Rio 200 diffuser was enough to bring the PH on my 75 gallon tank from 7.3 to 7.1 with the lights on at 3.6 wpg. The Rio 200 diffuser is MUCH more efficient than the Hagen ladder though. On my 20 gallon tank I also have a Rio 200 diffuser and I only use one of those little 12 ounce Nature CO2 System bottles that come with the Hagen ladder. If I used a 2-liter bottle, I imagine I could get my PH down to about 3.0 or so.
The most important thing is to make sure you aren't wasting all your CO2 by high water flow. By the sounds of it, that was definately your problem. If you had a big filter and lots of evaporation, you likely lost all your CO2 that way. I personally would use 1 2-liter bottle and a hagen ladder and check the PH in the morning and in the middle of the day just to see what kind of PH swing your tank is having. With 3 2-liter bottles, you might be dropping more than you think during the night, especially once you turn down the turbulence.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode