Please confirm my EI dosing schedule. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Pia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Please confirm my EI dosing schedule.

I really appreciate anyone who will help me with my dosing schedule after the same questions have been asked over and over. The last time I tried to fertilize, I didn't do so well so I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly this time.

I have a 75g tank with ~30ppm CO2 (PH 6.6, KH 4), and 2.93 wpg (4x55 watt kit) with four GE 9325k bulbs. My tap water contains ~1ppm Nitrate and ~.02ppm Phosphates according to my local water district report.

Plants (will) include hairgrass, dwarf sagittarius, alternanthera reineckii, bacopa monnieri, hydrocotyle leucocephala, heteranthera zosterfolia, egeria densa, ozelot sword, red rubin sword, and amazon sword v. tropica.

Fish load (will) include 3x angelfish, 12x black neon tetra, 5-7x oto cats, and either 3x clown loach or 5x cory cats.

I am planning on following the Estimative Index because I am _really bad_ at reading test kits precisely. Are these numbers okay?

[Day 01] 50% water change + Dose 1/2tsp KNO3, 1/8tsp KH2PO4
[Day 02] Dose Traces
[Day 03] Re-dose 1/2tsp KNO3, 1/8tsp KH2PO4
[Day 04] Dose Traces
[Day 05] 1/2tsp KNO3, 1/8tsp KH2PO4
[Day 06] Dose Traces
[Day 07] Nothing dosed

As for traces, I have a bag of Plantex. I think most people make a stock solution of 1TBSP per 250ml water. How much should I be dosing on days 02, 04, 06?

Following the above, I will be adding 6.05ppm Nitrate and 1.48ppm Phosphate. After having searched the forum for estimative index, these numbers seem to be approximately what others were recommended. I also noticed that almost everyone asking questions or answering questions had a 50g tank! Odd.

As for one last question, I will ask how long I should wait before starting to fertilize after adding plants. Also, how long before turning on the CO2?

Again, thank you very much, I really appreciate the help. I think I included all the information needed.

75 gallon Angelfish tank - 3WPG - Rena XP3 - 100% Flourite - Pressurized CO2 - Reactor 1000 - SMS122 PH Controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How about K2SO4? You are not going to dose any? I wouldn't skip Potassium.
The rest of the dosing shedule looks fine to me, but of course you may have to modify a bit as you go along.
Now, plant the tank, crank CO2 up to about 40ppm, wait 3-5 days, then you can start fertilizing. In a couple of weeks reduce CO2 down to 30ppm, at that point you can start adding fish to the tank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Pia
Algae Grower

It seems to me that not a lot of people dose the K2SO4 when doing EI since overdosing the KNO3 and KH2PO4 would add sufficient potassium to the tank. At least, that's my understanding after having read the other posts.

75 gallon Angelfish tank - 3WPG - Rena XP3 - 100% Flourite - Pressurized CO2 - Reactor 1000 - SMS122 PH Controller

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Planted Member

Now I could be wrong, but when dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 with your specific situation in mind, you are only adding in the neighborhood of 10 ppm of K. I personally like to add for 20 ppm K.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

I also think K from 1/2 tsp KNO3 is a bit low. I would supplement with at least 1/4 tsp of K2SO4.

My 100gallon has extremely high bioload, so I don't dose KNO3. I got K deficiency with 1/2 tsp K2SO4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Pia
Algae Grower

I was thinking of maybe upping the dosage to 3/4tsp KNO3 for 9.07ppm Nitrate. 1tsp will give me 12.09ppm and I'm not sure I need that much 3x per week.

Also, how much Plantex should I be dosing on the off days? 10ml? 15ml?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
I would supplement with at least 1/4 tsp of K2SO4.
Should I dose this every other day with the KNO3 and KH2PO4 or just after the water change?

Last edited by Pia; 04-20-2005 at 12:38 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you want to change anything, I'd change the trace mix to TMG or Flourish.

You can dose from day one after adding weeds.
Add CO2 prior and get it set up and running well.

You can dose 1/2 amounts the first week.
Then once the plants start growing well, add more.

You can dose every 2-3rd day also. Every other day is for higher light tanks truthfully. It's easier for many to remeber I think is why some like it.

But......algae will not occur if you over dose either routine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
If you want to change anything, I'd change the trace mix to TMG or Flourish.Regards,
Tom Barr
Why is that? For higher potassium levels ?

150 g heavy planted
Discus, cardinals, bristle nose, cherrys amano's
6.6 ph with ph controller and glass diffuser.
.5ppm p, 2t k added along with 80ml csm(weak solution) per week
300 watts cf
3.5-4 kh

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode