Question, it's time to buy ferts! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question, it's time to buy ferts!

I am finally getting low on my bottle of Kent (which HAS served me well) and am going to go the PMDD route. Other than traces, what is the difference between say, ordering from Greg Watson or using Fleet Enema, Stump Remover, etc and "cobbling it all together" that way?

Nothing against Greg!!! But, in lieu of ordering and border [email protected], is this an efficient/cost effective way to do it? Or is the quality far superior with Greg?

Thanks!

Kathy - EHEIM Step-pimp #148!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

180gal Malawi community (step-mom), Eheim 2217
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:58 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think Greg's packaging of the phosphate it much less intimidating . (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I don't have to deal with the border stuff, so it's hard for me to say (though now that I think of it, it seems like my first fert order was for Canada...I might need to go look up that web site name). I seem to recall being able to buy everything from Greg for around $15-$20, it shows up in 2-3 days and I don't have to drive around looking for the stuff. So, that's about as easy as it gets in my mind.

Brian.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
I think Greg's packaging of the phosphate it much less intimidating . (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Brian.
Have to say - I did buy some of that. Standing at the checkout at the drugstore it was all I could do not to blurt out, "But it's for my aquarium plants!!!!"

You're right about driving around to put it all together. I drive a gas guzzler and at the end of the day - it might be cheaper (and definitely easier) to just order it all in and have done with it.

I guess I was mainly wondering if there is a difference in quality since just about everybody seems to do it this way!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

A few of us here ordered from Greg and it arrived within the week.

There may be a homegrown outlet near your place: http://www.hydroponics.com/distributor/index.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTApuffgal
Have to say - I did buy some of that. Standing at the checkout at the drugstore it was all I could do not to blurt out, "But it's for my aquarium plants!!!!"
LOL! There are worse things to be buying. Actually, I didn't think anything of it - 4 kids, some of whom have purposefully clogged themselves up, tend to do that to you. As Erma Bombeck used to say, I lost my modesty in the post-natal depression.

I have been thinking of ordering myself though. I got a small assortment of Seachem stuff when I found it at a pet store for half price but I'm getting low on the potassium.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I don't think you could do any better that Greg Watson. I just started with the Esitmative Index and ordered from him, it was great. I forgot to order something and e-mailed him about it. He shipped it with the original order befor I even paid for it. He just sent me another paypal request and shipped it anyway. You may be able to get equivalents around town but I doubt it could be any easier than GregWatson.com (even in Canada).

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:25 AM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Just checked my original ferts order from way back when. It's the same reference that Jart mentions above.

Although, I just went to the PMDD page and mail-ordered it: http://www.hydroponics.com/info/aquatics/pmdd.htm

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

I bought everything I needed locally for under $20 CDN from a hydroponic shop. The plantex CSM+B trace mix is sold as Plant-Prod Chelated Trace Element Mix in Canada, it is the same stuff from the same company that manufactures Plantex CSM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks y'all! I had seen that Hydroponics store before, but I didn't know enough to know it was the same thing... I'll check this out.

Jart - pictures tonight!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode