Ph too low,Gh to high - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Ph too low,Gh to high

I am 16 posting a problem that my mom has with her tank. She has some schoolwork to do so I am asking you guys to please help me with this problem.
My moms ph is 6.4 which i heard is too low. Her Kh is 50-100 ppm and the Gh is 200-400 ppm (way too high). She has a 46 gallon tank and a DIY CO2 thing.(a 2-liter bottle with some stuff to make CO2. How can she lower here Gh and raise her Ph to a decent level?

Little Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
You unfortunately cannot lower GH. If the water in the tank is from the tap, then you will have to mix tap with RO water to bring the GH down. You can add baking soda to the water to bring the KH up, which will in turn bring the PH up. However, I dont thing there is anything wrong with the KH being at that level. Let us assume that the KH is 75ppm....that will put you at KH of 4.2...there is nothing wrong with that. The PH is probly low because of the Co2.
jB
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks Jason,

My mom and I had a feeling this would be true. When you say RO water do you mean distilled water? The 6.4 Ph reading does not seem to be having any adverse affects on the tanks inhabbitance. We have read that 6.4 although low may not be dangerous to fish If i am wrong let me know.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Check out this chart.... http://www.aquabotanic.com/charts.htm

This chart tells you how much CO2 is in your tank. You will need a good test kit for KH and PH. Once you know PH and KH, you can determine how much CO2 is in the tank. I think you might have CO2 on the high side. However, if the fish are not complaining, then I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt worry about the actual PH reading. Most fish tend to enjoy water in the acidic range. My PH is around 6.2 and there are no probs. You just have to watch the CO2 levels. RO water is reverse osmosis water. I believe that distilled is similar. I wouldnt worry about it. Your GH is not THAT high. But if it is a concern you can start mixing your tap water with RO water (RO water has a GH and KH of 0). Then you can create any water parameters you like. Hope this helps.
jB
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Cool chart thanks. Since this morning Iíve been able to raise the PH level from 6.4 to 6.6 by simply moving the water outflow on the Eheim away from the CO2 bubbles. I didnít want to disconnect the CO2 altogether since Iím sure that would have resulted in a dramatic PH drop, which isnít good. I recently battled a case of on-going cloudy water issues (not completely algae related) and as of last night, I decided to uproot, pinch, prune and clean about half the plants in my 46g tank. Once I had the plants removed I was able to carefully suck up all the plant debris and gunk that had gathered without disturbing too much substrate. I replaced the plants and did a 90% water change which seems to have done the jobÖ all is crystal clear again. I plan to purchase a decent KH & GH test kit for future monitoring. Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode