greg watson order coming tomorrow... confused - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
greg watson order coming tomorrow... confused

I know that a lot of people ask the same question, and I have tried to search and find the answer to what I am looking for as opposed to beating a dead horse, but I am really intimidated!

I have an order coming in from Greg Watson tomorrow for:

1 Plantex CSM+B plus iron
1 Plantex CSM+B Plus Extra Iron
1 Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb.
1 Potassium Sulfate 1 lb.
1 Potassium Nitrate 1 lb.

I am confused as to what I should dose... I know that most people are now dosing the dry, except for the plantex, which is mixed with water and dosed in solution.

Would anyone be willing to give me some advice/point me in the direction fo a page with tips?

I am considering trying to do something along the EI method, simply for the sake of convenience, it's just tough figuring the correct dosage.

Here are tank parameters:

29g
high fishload (10 neons, 6 harlequins, 2 rams, 2 otos, 1 sae, 1 juvenile angel)
moderately planted (soon to be heavily!)
110 watts PC from AHSupply (6700k)
DIY Co2 (2 hagen canisters, one going to ladder, other to the input of my Fluval 204)(soon to upgrade to pressurized)
pH 6.8-7.2
gh: 5-6
kH: 5-6
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: 0 (this is from a cheap dip style test kit... probably not accurate enough new kits are in the mail)
Phosphate: ? don't currently have one... are they necessary when dosing phoshpate in this form?

Thanks again for the help.
-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm confused also. Why did you order both types of Plantex? It seems to me that this question should have be asked before you ordered.

You ordered a lifetime supply of Plantex. A lifetime supply of Phosphate. A very good supply of KNO3 and not nearly enough K2SO4.

Go to my Guide. There is a new page on how to dose bulk dry ferts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex-

oops. I didn't mean that... I actually only ordered 1 of the plantex + extra iron.... not two. I must really look dumb... must be why you're the only one to respond...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh, by the way, thanks for sending me to your page. I had read it before and must have just spaced it... I have read so much on dosing ferts in the past few days that my head just may explode. I think I am making it out to be a lot harder than it really is.

Also,

I was led to believe that Greg Watson's macros only came in 1lb quantites... could/should I have ordered less?

Thanks again. Don't mean to be such a bonehead.

-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You are right in that they only come in 1 lb sizes. I wish Greg would break down at least the Phosphate. Even the Plantex in Ĺ lb sizes would be better for most people.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help Rex. Still a bit confused, but I think that I am getting it.

If anyone had the time, I would appreciate it if some of the experts could take a look at my initial dosing plan and give me their thoughts... and make sure I didn't make any huge mistakes.

Again, this is in a 29g, heavily stocked, 110 watts pc, 20 ppm co2

I am doing the every other day method, alternating between macros and micros.

KNO3 1/8 tsp dry
KH2PO4 1/16 tsp dry
K2SO4 1/16 tsp dry
plantex CSM +B plus Iron 5 ml (2 TBSP in 500ml RO water)

By the way, I am on a Macintosh, so I can't download CGadd's calculator, which is another reason for all the questions here. I have been using the web based version of his calculator (is it the same as the downloadable version?), and have been confused as to how to figure dry dosing amounts. I have basically come up with my numbers by looking at other people's dosing schedules.

Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I'm definately not an expert, but just a couple things I thought of about your dosing.
1)With a high fishload you may not need to dose KNo3 -- test to make sure. a good target for most people is around 10-15ppm, but no more than 20ppm.
2)A good rule of thumb is 10:1 (nitrate: phosphate) ratio. You should probably get a phosphate test kit to make sure you're dosing enough(or not too much)...but then again, if you're doing the EI method that may change things. I've never really used that before, so can't really comment on it.
-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The web based calculator is different. But if you enter 1 ml as the amount of water used then you can use the results for dosing dry.

I can tell you right now that your phosphate dosing is a disaster waiting to happen. That amount of KH2PO4 is going to raise your PO4 levels to 2.66 ppm. So you really need to make a solution and dose your PO4 a little less.

The nitrate dosing will add 5.4 ppm every time you dose so that could be too high with a large fish load. Again test then dose.

Your potassium dosing is only going to add 4 ppm with each dose so it could be a bit light.

I have a new addition to my Guide that covers using bulk ferts. Take a look at it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
My tank is very much like yours. The major exception is I have on 1 AHS 55w PC light. My tap water doesn't have any phosphates or nitrates in it to speak of, that information on your tap water would be useful. My fish load is light so my dosing is as such.

CO2 30ppm (yes this is a nutrient and should be dosed as such)
On water change and every other day:
KNO3 1/2 tsp
K2SO4 1/2 tsp
KH2PO4 1/32 Tbsp

On the other days I dose traces. I use 1tsp of CSM+B plus exta iron in 250mL of water and dose 15 mL. That way I use up the mixture a bit faster and the bottle doesn't last for 3 months (probably doesn't matter).

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow, thanks for the tips everyone.

Although I hate to admit it, I am horrible when it comes to keeping up with testing. In addition, I still need to pick up a phosphate test kit and I am almost certain that my nitrate test is garbage.

So, with my bad testing regimen out in the open, you know why I am anxious to give EI a shot. I had never dosed ferts on this tank in the past, and things seemed to do okay, but all my plants are on the "easier" side as far as husbandry is concerned and I am now starting to notice some deficiencies such as pinholes in my java fern and ludwigia repens.

I'll recalculate my numbers tonight. Thanks guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode