What is a GOOD master kit for Freshwater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy What is a GOOD master kit for Freshwater?

I am trying to put together an 75 gal aquarium, and I need a GOOD Test kit for my aquarium. I am trying not to buy several different kits for different measurments. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I bought the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. But I also had to buy a kH/gH, and phosphate test kit seperately. I spent a total of $30.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
As with many things, for really good test kits, you're going to have to pay quite a bit more.

LaMotte and Hach are the top of the line test kits that are probably the best you can get without getting into lab quality stuff.

They have a higher initial cost but the re-fills (at least for the LaMotte) seem reasonable.

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
So far I not will to spend the big money on test kits, so I buy the cheap ones and toss them if they don't work. So far these are what works for me:

Aquarium Pharm - Ph and Kh, easy to read - Gh trash
Res Sea - CO2, PO4, Fe, easy to read - O2 trash
Hagen - NO3 trash
Mardel 5 - 1 dip strips, NO3, NO2, Kh, Gh, easy to read, Ph trash

It's hard to find a single company that does well in all departments, IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You figure if you use the test kits, and have to test them, does not negate the reason to use them to some degree?

I've never had issues with Lamott/Hach, but some cheapy's seem to worjk well enough, certainly not something I'd want to use doing a lot of testing with, but folks seem to do well enough.

Dosing is not a precise act.
So having precise test kits is not really needed to a large degree unless you want to know specific precise uptake rates etc.
You get what you pay for as rule with test kits.

Lamott/Hach are easy to use and easier to read.

I don't tell folks to buy test kits anymore and haven't for a few years other than pH, KH.

Even those are debatable, many use bubbles per second for CO2.

So....

But some folks like testing and seeing. Most don't and it does make things more complicated for many. It cost more. Folks sometimes over rely on their test measurements and lose the primary focus, growing plants.

Test kits often lie and are inaccurate, plants/algae never lie and are my test kits. I use high quality test kits to back the plant observations.
This way I am at a high level of confidence in my measurements.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode