reverse osmosis in planted aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
reverse osmosis in planted aquarium?

I was discussing the local water with a local shop owner and he was telling me how he uses ro water in all his fresh water tanks. I have an RO unit from my salt days and I ran it a little to check the water. The PH read 6.0 as opposed to 8.6 from the tap. I understand that RO strips nutrients. Any experiences with this??? My ph 7.2 , pHOSPHATE 5, NITRATE 5, GH 53.7, kh 53.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Are the parameters posted what you are getting from the RO water??? If so there might be a dirty filter or something. You should be getting GH and KH at 0 ppms.

BTW I use RO water in my planted tank. You just need to add back nutrients.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

SORRY FOR NOT BEING TOTALLY CLEAR... These are my current readings in the tank . I have not yet begun to use RO water.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
you don't need RO. GH/KH is pretty soft. 5ppm PO4 is a little high but won't necessarily cause any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, I noticed my phosphates go up after I used A marc Weiss product called Amazon ??? It's like a Black water extract.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would ditch that product.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Totally agree. If you read the label it sounds like a miracle cure all. Back to fluorish

90 gallon planted, pressurized Co2,JBJ regulator, Milwaukee Sms 122 PH meter,(2) Rena XP-3's, Ebo Jager 3607 heater, coralife aqualight 48" 260W , Coralife aqualight 130W
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
If you read the label it sounds like a miracle cure all.
LOL. that's what snake oil is capable of, right?

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I hate that stuff, I still want my 30$ back from 15 years ago when they claimed it's grow weeds and cure algae, it has never done a thing.
Snake oil if there ever was some.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just for fun I went to his website and found a product called Immuno-Vital Freshwater. How's this for a laugh!:

http://www.marcweissco.com/Immuno-Vi...Freshwater.pdf

My favorite is

"Enhances beneficial microbes that compete with disease organisms"

and

"facilitates transport of Oxygen to cells"...

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Quote:
"facilitates transport of Oxygen to cells"...
[SARCASM] sure it does! it creates a new system of tubes and pumps called a "circulatory system" that transports Oxygen to the cells and wastes away. That stuff is an absolute miracle of science! I honestly don't know how fish survive without this newfangled "circulatory system" thing.[/SARCASM]

at least it doesn't claim to protect the fish from the ever vigilant "free radicals"

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Back to RO water,
I'd not bother unless you have high Cu or arsenic etc.
Some fish and breeding might provide a reason, but plants don't give a hoot as a rule. Over many years, I've run into 2-3 x where folks actually warranted their use. That is out of many 1000's of folks. It's extremely rare and mostly related to Cu levels in their tap and one or two cases where they used salty well water.

Why take nutrients out and then add it back again?
Seems like you just want to make more work for yourself without any gain.
RO water taste good, that's what mine is for, to heck with the plants:-)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your honesty. as I said I just had the Ro unit hanging in the garage and the guy at the shop swears thats the way to go. I am definetly not looking to install a fifth wheel on my system.

90 gallon planted, pressurized Co2,JBJ regulator, Milwaukee Sms 122 PH meter,(2) Rena XP-3's, Ebo Jager 3607 heater, coralife aqualight 48" 260W , Coralife aqualight 130W
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
[SARCASM] sure it does! it creates a new system of tubes and pumps called a "circulatory system" that transports Oxygen to the cells and wastes away. That stuff is an absolute miracle of science! I honestly don't know how fish survive without this newfangled "circulatory system" thing.[/SARCASM]

at least it doesn't claim to protect the fish from the ever vigilant "free radicals"

Oqsy
I'm really sold on this stuff!!! I want to buy a 55 GAL drum and sell it as " Aquaphish's Magic Tonic". Directions will read: Simply add a few drops into the tank to improve the Circulatory system of you fish!!! Then add a few to your scalp and rub in well to stimulate and Oxygenate your scalp for a new beautiful new head of hair!!!

CAUTION!!! DO NOT USE IN EXECSS!!! YOUR NEW HEAD OF HAIR MAY START TO LOOK LIKE JAVA MOSS!!!

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Thanks for your honesty. as I said I just had the Ro unit hanging in the garage and the guy at the shop swears thats the way to go. I am definetly not looking to install a fifth wheel on my system.
Let him swear all day long while you quietly bring in lots of plants in the hard foul tap water. It'll kill him.

I do it all the time, saltwater also. Really burns them.
Then they see the nice aquascape as well.

Use the RO for drinking water, get some good use out of it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode