CAN K2S04 increase dGH?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
CAN K2S04 increase dGH??

[B]My water chemistry is all self taught... Tonight I was re-reading Baench's Aq. Atlas and found a part that mentioned potassium raising total hardness. I ask this question because, after a major screw up on my new 90 gallon tank, I finally got my water down to 8dGH with a couple of 50% water changes. My tap/well water is near zero GH.

Because I haven't dosed k in this tank except with KNO3 and KH2PO4, I put just under 1 teaspoon of K2S04 into 30 gallons of change water. My GH raised upto about 10dGH (or 11 on a second test) on tonight's reading after this morning's change. The last time I tested for GH was after the two big water changes about a week ago, before any dosing on KNO3 and KH2PO4. Also, I should mention that I have dosed about 10ml of KH2PO4 and just under a teaspoon of KNO3 a couple of times this week, prior to this last change. The nitrates were rising to about 20ppm after dosing but going down to 5 to 7 ppm before redosing on each odd day.

I want to get back to a nice 4 to 6dGH. Should I stop with the potassium sulphate altogether and just let the potassium in the KNO3 and KPO4 do the job? Perhaps I'm getting too much K in there and its causing the water to get too hard? Is this a possibility? Or is this dGH not that big of deal to the plants, anyhow. The KH is at 5 ish and pH about 6.8 now. Thanks for your help! bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I posted a question here before regarding GH calculation. Well, a few members here who are chem. experts explained to me that there are other matters those included in GH besides Mg and Ca but those are really in very small percentage and wouldn't effect the overall reading by much.

Are you sure you didn't mix up K with Mg? Both look pretty much the same

Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hardness (GH) is the total concentration of the Calcium, Magnesium, Iron (III), and Manganese (II) ions in the water.

Water softeners work by replacing the above ions with an appropriate number of sodium or potassium ions.

So no, potassium is not part of hardness (GH). Nino might have it right - did you really mean magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)?

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Hardness (GH) is the total concentration of the Calcium, Magnesium, Iron (III), and Manganese (II) ions in the water.

Water softeners work by replacing the above ions with an appropriate number of sodium or potassium ions.

So no, potassium is not part of hardness (GH). Nino might have it right - did you really mean magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)?

Kevin
Nope, I didn't add any Epsom. My Epsom is granular not powder. Just Greg Watson's Potassium Sulphate. But I re-read that part in Baench and it was actually saying that:

"The carbonate hardness may be greater than the total hardness because of the presence of sodium, potassium and other cations in addition to calcium and magnesium. They do not cause hardness, but may occur together with the bicarbonate anion to increase the quantity of bicarbonate." PG. 30 Baench Aquarium Atlas...

So I misread it thinking of GH instead of the a KH increase. Must be residual effect from when I over did the Epsom then Equilibrium over a week ago. Its only 2 degrees, and I can't think of what else might cause a total hardness (GH) rise.

But I did dose 10ML of Seachem Iron yesterday. Maybe that brought it up??

Thanks for your help! bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium raises KH? Or did I misunderstand that quote??

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode