up to .25 pH swings at night - too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
up to .25 pH swings at night - too much?

Obviously due to high co2 levels, I have been getting a pH variance of .25 over each night. It is normally 6.9 during the day, and reaches as low as 6.65 at night and early morning before the lights turn back on. the co2 variance is between 25 and 38 ppm (day/night). I have not noticed any harm to the fish or any gasping. However, them constantly adjusting to new pH worries me.

other than buying a pH controller, is there any alternative to fight this? airstones at night to help remove the excess co2 maybe?

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I would not worry about .25 fluctuations.

Besides closely monitoring your fish and backing off a little if they look unhappy, and besides the airstone, and besides buying the controller, you could buy a solenoid and put it on a timer.

That way you save the dough for the controller, save CO2 that's not needed at night, and make your fish feel better. Bingo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i have a solenoid right now on my co2 tank. i would have just figured that the lack of pumping co2 in the tank for that long would make for wilder pH swings.

if I cut off the co2 flow for 12 hours a day, would the pH swing much?

Cliff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Well, if you have a solenoid, put it on the timer along with the lights. If you notice the pH swinging the other way (going up over night) then just buy a separate timer and set it to whatever time so the pH is the same in the morning and evening. For example, if it is now 6.9 in the evening, turn the CO2 off for 4 or 6 or 8 hours and see what it is in the morning until the swing is minimal.

I turn off CO2 over night not because of pH swings, but to conserve CO2. The pH might go up a little over night but I haven't seen any fish complaining

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

have you noticed any problems with your bubble count changing after each on and off, or does it go back to normal fairly consistently?

Cliff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have had large ph swings in my tank plenty of time. Sometimes dropping from 6.8 to 6.2 overnight. Not that is good for the fish, but I have yet to see a single fish gasping for air.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a ph controller, but decided to shut off CO2 at night. PH swing up to 0.7(6.7 - 7.4). Did not notice any ill effects on fish, including discus.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode