Ca ppm (long) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ca ppm (long)

Hi all
I'm fairly new to plants (~6 months) and still getting a bit of a handle on ferts. I started noticing my sword (gone now, outgrew the tank) had 'the twisties' and my Hygrophila had quite a few cupped (edges folded in) leaves. This, combined with my ramshorns' shells becoming white and pitted, led me to belive there may be a Ca deficiency going on here.
I've just had a look at the water report, our tap water contains ~35ppm Ca. I added a teaspoon of CaNO3 to my 500ml fert mix when I made up a new batch last week, so it's a little early to tell if it's enough, but I was advised to start slow and not add too much at once. I'm considering buying a test kit, but since they're generally designed for SW I'm not sure if it would be accurate - I did a search on the forum and found a few related posts but no definitive answer.
My question is how many ppm of Ca should I be aiming for? Is a kit worth it, or should I continue to use the plants/snails as a guide?

For reference, here's my fert mix:
1/2 tsp KH2PO4
1 tsp CaNO
2 tsp KCl
2 tsp MgSO4
3 tsp Mg(NO3)2
6 tsp T.E.
7 tsp KNO3
500ml tap water

The tank is heavily planted. I add ~6ml/day to this tank to maintain 5-10ppm NO3, and use Fleet if I need to up the PO4 to keep a 10:1 ratio.

65g test results (taken tonight):
KH - 50ppm/3* (it's ~70ppm/4.5* out of the tap)
pH - tank w/ CO2 - 6.4 (tap after sitting 24h is ~7.4)
GH - 140 (ppm CaCO3)

If more info is needed, detailed tank specs are on Aquaria Central, there's a link in my signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Per

Be aware that PO4 will form insoluble compounds with Mg, Ca and Fe (and maybe other traces as well) and precipitate out of solution!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Looks like a single mix isn't going to work, I'm revising the way I do things - sitting here banging my head on the desk trying to sort out how much of each compound to use to reach optimum levels as we speak

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode