Maintaining High Ph With CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maintaining High Ph With CO2

How do I maintain a high ph (7.8 - 8.2) in a tank with CO2 injection? I keep Tanganyikan cichlids that love the high ph, but from what I've read here, the CO2 will drop my ph. All suggestions and comments are very much appreciated!

My PH is: 8.0 and KH is 7.5. I'd like to add as much CO2 as possible without lowering PH below 7.8.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:47 PM

You could have VERY VERY hard water. With a KH of 714ppm and a PH of 7.8 you can get 20ppm CO2... Other then that I have no clue! I don't know how you would get your water that hard. Or if it would even be fisable.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Very Hard Water Indeed

Oh, we are famous here in AZ for our hard water. That's why I keep African Cichlids...the water is perfect. However, I don't think the water is perfect for plants and I'm trying to zero in on the right balance. When I add CO2 it will lower my PH, but I don't want it to lower it too much.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
what is the KH directly out of your tap?

If Africans could handle a pH of 7.5, then you could get 19ppm co2 with 20 KH water. And add baking soda to get the KH back up to 20 each water change.

Anymore than that and you would probably end up with cloudy water from it. May work though.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The question is more along the lines of what plants do you want to grow? It's much better to adjust your plant selection to the water requirements of the fish than the other way around. If you grow the right plants you won't really need CO2 and won't need real high lighting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

That's the advice I'm seeking. Thanks Rex. What plants would you suggest for a high PH tank?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
This is a very inspiring tank for such untertaking:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11730

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

That was a great recommended link. Jut about all my questions answered there plus A LOT of inspiration!

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode