Conffused with EI dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Unhappy Conffused with EI dosing

Hi everyone,
I decieded to start over on my dosing regimen. I read the EI dosing on the Barrreport.com and I am a bit confussed. So with dosing 1/4 KNO3 & 1/8 KH2PO4 per 20 gallons, whats a safe start for a 55gal tank? In the case with my tank having high nitrates all the time because of my bioload can I not dose and still be ok? My nitrates as of right now with out dosing on water changes which was Sunday are at 20ppm I probably missed something but why are we not dosing phosphate? On the micros I have been putting 1 tbs and a 1tsp of csm+b(plus extra iron) into 250ml of H2O and from there dosing 15ml, dose this sound too harsh? I didnt see anything on the EI post about how much micro solution to start off with. My tank has light(4.7wpg), pumping pressurized co2 and my pH is at 6.5 with a KH of 12. I jacked up my co2 due to the BBA and brown dusty stuff algae recently. Thanks for the great help!
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

More replies would probably be posted if it was explained what EI dosing is. (Personally I don't know what EI stands for.)

Just my opinion, but I think using acronyms is a bad idea. You isolate replies to your threads to only those people who know what the acronym means.

Admins, have you seen what aquariumadvice.com does? They have filters that automatically insert text box popups on acronyms when people post. (And no, EI isn't in their filters.)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
EI is estimative index.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPob
I probably missed something but why are we not dosing phosphate? Pete
what do you mean? You ARE dosing KH2PO4, which is your main phosphate source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPob
Hi everyone,
I decieded to start over on my dosing regimen. I read the EI dosing on the Barrreport.com and I am a bit confussed. So with dosing 1/4 KNO3 & 1/8 KH2PO4 per 20 gallons, whats a safe start for a 55gal tank? In the case with my tank having high nitrates all the time because of my bioload can I not dose and still be ok? My nitrates as of right now with out dosing on water changes which was Sunday are at 20ppm I probably missed something but why are we not dosing phosphate? On the micros I have been putting 1 tbs and a 1tsp of csm+b(plus extra iron) into 250ml of H2O and from there dosing 15ml, dose this sound too harsh? I didnt see anything on the EI post about how much micro solution to start off with. My tank has light(4.7wpg), pumping pressurized co2 and my pH is at 6.5 with a KH of 12. I jacked up my co2 due to the BBA and brown dusty stuff algae recently. Thanks for the great help!
Pete
Just scale it up to get your dose for a 55.
1/2 teaspoon KNO3
1/8 Teaspoon KH2PO4
10mls of traces.

With a higher bioload, reduce the KNO3 to about 1/3 to 1/4 teaspoon dosing.
Reducing the lighting is wise if you have high bioload as well.
2-3w/gal is fine and will grow anything you might want.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
EI isn't an exact science, hence the name. It basically says, "add ~x amt of KNO3, K2SO4, PO4(or whatever you dose)" and do 1 LARGE water chance a week to reset the water parameters. This way, the plants will always have all the nutrients they need (ie, no deficiencies) and by "resetting" the water parameters with the huge water change, you're not giving algae a real chance to get a foothold.
I'm sure Tom Barr could summarize this better, but that's the gist I get out of it.
-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
And that's about all there is too it.
There's no need to be exact and you gain little except reducing some very cheap ferts that would be otherwise wasted.

It assumes algae will not bloom in excess levels as long as these levels are good for plant growth.

Plants exist in a different niche than algae.

You do not have to do weeekly water changes either. But I want foklks to see what good fat plants look like and then they can reduce things should they choose to and know the "standard" good plant health looks like.

You are merely guessing at what the plants will use for the week and then re set the tank weekly with the water change.

As you get better at guessing the eb and flow, you can use less. But you can still do the weekly routine with good results also.

You coming to the meeting for the SVAS this Sat Ryan?
Lots of plants for sale and to sell.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com Plast fest 2K5! July 8-15th

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sorry about my brian fart . I meant to say pottasium, I am dosing 1/4 of that, sound about right? I really appreciate the great help guys! Im having BBA problems and never had to deal with a tuff case as now. Figured Id start over on my dosing and increase the co2 to see how well it will help.
Pete

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode