quick one for fert experts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
quick one for fert experts

i just wondered if P2O5 (phosphorus pentoxide) can be used as a substitute for pottasium phosphate. i gather the amounts to dose will change.

heres the analysis:

J. Arther Bower's SUPERPHOSPHATE Plant Food.
Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2O5)
soluble in neutral ammonium citrate and water 17.5% (7.6% P)
of which soluble in water 16.5% (7.1% P)

Also this one:

J. Arther Bower's Sulphate Of IRON Plant Food.
Iron (Fe) 20.0%

it doesent say it contains any EDTA's or the mention of chelated anyware on the boxs, just those details above in the analysis box.

no worries if not, i just found them in the garden shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion
i just wondered if P2O5 (phosphorus pentoxide) can be used as a substitute for pottasium phosphate. i gather the amounts to dose will change.

heres the analysis:

J. Arther Bower's SUPERPHOSPHATE Plant Food.
Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2O5)
soluble in neutral ammonium citrate and water 17.5% (7.6% P)
of which soluble in water 16.5% (7.1% P)

Also this one:

J. Arther Bower's Sulphate Of IRON Plant Food.
Iron (Fe) 20.0%

it doesent say it contains any EDTA's or the mention of chelated anyware on the boxs, just those details above in the analysis box.

no worries if not, i just found them in the garden shed
Superphosphate is usually a calcium phosphate compound or mixture. Phosphorous pentoxide is very reactive and produces phosphoric acid on dissolving in water - it is not sold as a fertilizer.

Fertilizers report their content the same way we report GH in an aquarium - GH is both Mg and Ca, but we report the degrees or ppm of CaCO3 EQUIVALENT to our amount of Mg and Ca. In fertilizers, phosphorous content is reported as the EQUIVALENT percentage of P2O5 - regardless of the actual chemical form of the phosphorous in the bag.

From the label, the iron is in the form of iron sulfate. It is PROBABLY FeSO4 (Iron +2), but might be Fe3(SO4)2 (Iron +3). It is an inorganic salt, not a chelate. Could still be used in the aquarium - just may oxidize and precipitate out more quickly than a chelated iron. Fine for root-feeders, not as great for stems.

ABOUT BOTH ITEMS: If the ingredients aren't listed, it will be risky to use it in your aquarium - what additives may also be in the bag?? What is fine for terrestrial plants may not be so great for your fishies!

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
LOL, whilst at the garden centre earlier, I perused their ferts and saw "J. Arther Bower's SUPERPHOSPHATE Plant Food" myself.

If you look on the side, you'll see (as the name suggests) it's a complete plant food, which includes a whole range of different nutrients (and additional elevated phosphate levels) which would be hard to control in an aquarium.

If you want an all round fert, go for the commercial aquatic ones.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode