Chelated trace mix for hydroponics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chelated trace mix for hydroponics

I found a local hydroponic store that sells "chelated trace mix" for next to nothing. I saw this on their website, I don't know the actual makeup, but wouldn't this do the job? Is there anything to beware of? This stuff is for growing "vegatables", so I imagine it would be free of impurities. Anyone tried something like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 AM

"vegatables" or hash? reason me wanting you to point that out specificaly is that veg and hash are grown very different. there may be high levels of Nitrogen in the mix, also if its for actual veg you will proberly find to much Phosphorus. regardless of it being 'trace mix'.

Ide be wary.. can you get hold of the content so then maybe we could compare CSM+B with what your intending to get. hydroponic growing is normaly done as im sure you know by the lights as well as PMDD, useing different colour temps to stimulate different seasons.. so then changing levels of macros and micros for that change.. less k2so4 is needed in veg stage than in flowering stage, while k2so4 is safe.. its levels may not be, like many other elements that will make the mix.

btw dont be shy if its for growing MJ, its botany in its own right is it not? and also as intricate as the planted aquarium. but the aquarium products have normaly been manufactured with the fish in mind.. especially aquatic plants.

heres the details on the CSM+B, B being the boron which will proberly be present in the mix your asking about.

MG 1.50%
Cu 0.10%
Fe 7.00%
Mn 2.00%
Mo 0.06%
Zn 0.40%

it doesent state how much boron is in the CSM on the pack unfortunatly.. but that should give u an idea of the sort of 'trace mix' your looking for. and the percents.

try emailing them they can proberly go and look up the details on the mix and report them back to you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

After a little internet sleuthing, I have discovered that Plantex CSM is produced by a company in Ontario called Plant Products, and that in Canada Plantex CSM is called Plant Prod Chelated Micronutrient Mix, so this maybe be the same stuff, I'll have to check out the store and ask.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:14 AM

this doesent look that bad actually, ide say the best to use would be the Plant-Prod® Chelated Micronutrient Mix.. that contains molybdenum which the other does not. this will be harder to get that magnesium so i rekon go for the standard and should u need to dose more mg (if u have low GH or any) then you can allways do so with epsom salts. which are readily availible from the pharm.

this is obviously the stuff gw uses. so good luck are u going to order some now? let some others go over whats been said so you can maybe get another opinion before you buy.. but i think im right that this stuff will do the job just fine... maybe gw adds his own mg to his mix to make it complete.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:16 AM

oh yeah youll need to add boron aswell as that doesent seem present in the mix.
he must add this also in the CSM+B. how much you add depends on how much your mixing etc etc so youll have to work some of this out yourself.. but when you have the products a new thread will get you on your way there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Currently I am using the trace mix distributed by http://www.hydroponics.com/

I have had good luck with it. Basically I just compared the ingredients to that which are present in CSM-B; seemed pretty close. When my current batch runs out I plan to switch to Greg Watson's trace mix with extra Fe.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion
so good luck are u going to order some now?
I can pick it up, the hydroponic shop is 5 minutes away.

I'm going to grab some today if they are open.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

I was looking for this info about a month back when I picked up this same mix, so I am bumping this old thread for any other Canucks out there looking for some dry ferts

For about $20 I got 1lb of KNO3, KH2PO4, K2S04 and 1/3lb of this trace mix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode