problem with test kits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
problem with test kits

I used to dose Kno3 and I was trying to keep it around 10ppm(NO3) by using a test which i find very reliable.The last day I found it around 10ppm.
The next day I added K2SO4 that when calculated seemed to raise K to 20ppm if my water contained 0 amounts.Though I didn't thought of the K in the water introduced through KNO3.The day after that shows the no3 readings at zero and when i tried to raise it to 10ppm I had to add 8 times the amount of KNO3 than other times.
Please someone give me a reasonable explanation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO, it sounds like Potassium has been a limiting nutrient in your system.

When you've been dosing nitrates, only a proportion of the dose is being used, proportional to the potassium also contained in the compound (potassium nitrate).

When you dose extra Potassium, the plants are no longer K+ defficient and can continue to utilise all the remaining nitrates until they are gone, where the nitrates (or lack of!) become the limiting nutrient.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your test is denifitely wrong. The tank can not use 10ppm NO3 in a day no matter what! It takes the same amount of KNO3 to raise NO3 by 10ppm, does not matter whether you does K2SO4 or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Just out of curiosity, which NO3 test kit do you use? I use Red Sea, but haven't been to happy with it. It's very difficult to tell differences in color when it gets above the 10ppm(-ish) mark.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Oh, I think a large tank (75gal + ) could use 10ppm of NO3 in a 24 hour period. RedSea isn't a good nitrate test kit. I use Aquarium Pharm. brand, but even it isn't super accurate. Steve Hampton has done some test kit comparisons. If you want 100% reliability, you have to go with Hach or LaMotte. the next step down would be a SeaChem nitrogen test kit. Below that, something like AP.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I use sera's,the colours are easy to identify
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I'd be careful... if you have to add 8 times the amount of NO3 just to satisfy your testkit something is wrong. Don't use your tank to verify the testkit...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure it's ok,I tested it under several occasions,maybe the theory that there was a k+ deficiency sound's reasonable
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Oh, I think a large tank (75gal + ) could use 10ppm of NO3 in a 24 hour period.
It does NOT depend on tank size. PPM(parts per million) is a measurement independent of volume. In other words, more stuff is dissolved to achieve the same ppm in large tanks.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I used to dose Kno3 and I was trying to keep it around 10ppm(NO3) by using a test which i find very reliable.The last day I found it around 10ppm.
The next day I added K2SO4 that when calculated seemed to raise K to 20ppm if my water contained 0 amounts.Though I didn't thought of the K in the water introduced through KNO3.The day after that shows the no3 readings at zero and when i tried to raise it to 10ppm I had to add 8 times the amount of KNO3 than other times.
Please someone give me a reasonable explanation
IF we assume there is nothing wrong with your test kit, let's think this out.

At some time in the past you added x amount of KNO3 to get your nitrates to 10 ppm.

Recently, you found you had to add 8x of KNO3 to get your nitrates to 10 ppm.

Really, the only way this makes sense is if your nitrates were, for example, 9 ppm in the first case (you added 1 ppm) and 2 ppm in the second case (you added 8 ppm).

I think the best thing to do is figure out exactly how much you added in each case, then divide this figure by your tank volume and see if the numbers make any sense.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes i think so,if you dissolve a known quantity in a certain volume of water and measure ml you will be more accurate
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
It does NOT depend on tank size. PPM(parts per million) is a measurement independent of volume. In other words, more stuff is dissolved to achieve the same ppm in large tanks.
Of course mg/L and ppm are independent of volume.
It depends on the tank size because larger tanks can hold MORE PLANTS, and MORE PLANTS in the tank can consume MORE NITRATE than a smaller tank with fewer plants.
Trust me, I've witnessed my 75gallon eat 10ppm of NO3 in a 24 hour period...and the repurcussions of not adding more NO3 (being in disbelief) and then dealing with algae due to imbalanced phosphates.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Trust me,
sorry, still don't believe it

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to AlexPerez
I've seen my 55G go through 8.8 ppm in a day (Lamotte).
I didn't believe it at first so I tested the water 3 times
and got the same readings.
Tested at Night (5 * 4.4) = 22ppm NO3
Tested the Next Night (3 * 4.4) = 13.2ppm NO3

So for a 75G I would have to believe that it could go through 10ppm.
If it where running on overdrive with lots of NO3 demading plants.

75G Planted,Pressurized CO2, ADA ,TEK T-5 Lighting (6X54W)
55G Planted, Shrimp only (Mix),P.CO2, eco/moon sand, 55WX2 AHS.
20G planted, Shrimp only(B.Bee), P.CO2, eco, 55W AHS kit in jebo fixture.
6G planted, Shrimp only(Tiger),P. CO2, eco, 14W AHS kit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode