Fe test kit worth it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Fe test kit worth it?

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the usefulness of Fe test kits and just wanted to clear it up. I've heard that they tend to be inaccurate so don't bother, but I've also heard the contrary...What do you all think?
Reason I ask, is whether I should get it for my tank or not. I'm not worried about *Underdosing*, but instead *Overdosing* is probably more likely ----> not sure if doing this causes problems, such as "dust" algae on leaves, hair algae or anything like that, but I'm simply curious.
I use a 100% flourite with a couple root tabs scattered here and there. I also dose PMDD(or very similar) with CSM+B(extra Fe) 3x a week and Macros on the other days. The tank HAD 110w over 20g(5.5wpg) and I since reduced it to 55w as I was getting too much algae. Bottom line is, do you think getting an Fe test kit is a good idea? Or don't bother?

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, you have already read conflicting opinions, and by posting this question again, you will get conflicting opinions again, no doubt No, I don't bother myself.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's what I was thinking. I guess my main concern was if overdosing Fe(even if its not by much) is a bad thing --- as opposed to underdosing. If I don't know the Fe levels, I can only guess. There are quite a few red plants in there and I've heard it can help them keep that coloration.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I haven't seen much of a negative effect by overdosing fe, maybe if you dump half a bottle of your concentrate in. Most I have ever seen is the easy to remove dust algae. Maybe you have some other macro missing or low which would slow down fe uptake. Are you using enough co2?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I once read an interesting thread on the krib that if your plants look too yellow, add some iron, and if they still look too yellow in a few days add some more until they look nice and green. I thought, how simple and it works for me. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 03:56 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
betowess is sort of right.. a continued yellow colour after dosing iron could mean the plants are then deficient in magnesium tho...

i think the EI will be more accurate than useing an iron test kit.
how are u dosing your iron.. are you keeping your iron levels up as part of plantex? or useing alone?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Right now, I'm just dosing iron via Plantex CSM+B(extra Fe) ... ~5mL every 2 days (1 tsp/250mL). The other sources of iron are the Flourite & a few "root tabs"(contains mainly Fe) for the root feeders (like the ozelot sword and 2 crypt wendtii red).
Also, Yes, I'm dosing plenty of CO2 (50ppm according to chart ... 8dkH / ph = 6.6)

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode