hydrated chemicals - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
hydrated chemicals

I would like to know the reason why certain chemicals for example mgSO4 come in hydrated form(mgSO4+7H2O)and if it makes any difference when disolved in water........
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 AM

I hope im right.,.. im pretty sure i am anyway, all it means is its readily absorped by the water and the plants.. i think the term is also chelated, there are types or Iron (Fe) that cannot be dissolved as easily as chelated iron therefor leaving deposits etc which are useless.

i also think the process of hydration involves taking the solid to a liquid.. then back to a solid again. but containing only the watersoluble solids that will assure 100% disolution.. and leaving the unsoluble chemicals for other purposes. i might be wrong but someone on here will sure answer you.
but you have the right idea.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
HYDRATE - A solid compound containing water molecules combined in a definite ratio as an integral part of the crystal.
I think we see hydrated Magnesium Sulphate available as it is more stable and less reactive than anhydrous MgSO4.

Chelation is a different matter alltogether...
Quote:
CHELATE - A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions.
...which basically means (in the case of iron in our aquaria) the heavy metal is bound in a compound that can be utilised by the plants.

HTH

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
I think we see hydrated Magnesium Sulphate available as it is more stable and less reactive than anhydrous MgSO4.
A little more specific: anhydrous MgSO4 (no water) would readily absorb water from the air - every time you opened the container. Thus, the amount you weigh out would be MgSO4 plus an unknown amount of water - and the amount of water would change over time! So to make life easier, we buy the hydrated form so we know exactly how much water is bound in the crystals. Now when you weigh Epsom salts (MgSO4*7H2O), you know you are getting 7 water molecules for every magnesium and sulfate ion.

Bottom line though is that since we are putting it in water, the biggest difference between using anhydrous and hydrated MgSO4 is the amount you would need to weigh out to get the same amount of magnesium.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot gyes,you've been very clear...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode