High Ammonia From Tap
So I just noticed that two of my Rainbow fish had ich yesterday when I was home on lunch. I decided I was going to do a 50% water change to help remove as many theronts that I could before raising the water temp to 86*. I drained the tank about 45% and began refilling the tank. When the tank was almost filled I noticed the fish acting strange swimming at the top and an increased gill rate. So I checked the water temp and the tank had only gone up 1* and the temp coming from the tap was the same. I checked the water parameters and my Ammonia was above 1 ppm. Nitrites and Nitrates were at 0 ppm and my pH was 7.2-7.4. I checked my tap water and my Ammonia was 1.5-2.0 ppm. Almost immediately 6 of my Rainbow fish died before I even had a chance to figure out what was going on. I treated the water before I placed it in the tank so I'm confused as to what's with the high Ammonia. So now I have a tank with ich, lost 6 fish already, and have tap water that's so high in Ammonia that it's killing my fish. What do I do?
**Update** I just did a test with two 5 gallon buckets with 2 different types of tap water conditioner. I treated 1 bucket with Tetra Aqua Safe+ and another bucket with API Tap Water Conditioner Super Strength. After letting each bucket sit for about 20 minutes I tested the water and both of them came back with 1ppm Ammonia levels. I read online that someone else had a similar situation due and it is due to some states adding extra chloramine to the waters to help reduce the risk of bacteria growing. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how do I know when the water is actually safe for my fish. I am debating on going to buy water temporarily to get some good clean water in there but just don't have anything for transporting that large amount of water. Any tips from anyone having seen this before is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by JEden8; 12-10-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Reason: Added Update