got my dry ferts and I need a little help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
got my dry ferts and I need a little help

All these dry ferts are a little overwhelming for me and I need some expert advice. I am running a 10 gallon with diy co2 and my ferts are KH2PO4, KNO3,K2SO4 and plantex csm+b. how would you all dose these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
First, get yourself a set of spice measuring spoons, something down to 1/64 tsp.

I'd go with 1/8 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4
1/32 tsp KSO4
1/32 tsp CSM+B

All 3x per week. That's recommended for a 10-20g tank, so you can dose a bit less if you want, but there's no harm in overdoing it.

To make it a bit easier, you can buy dosing bottles (I got mine from USPlastics.com) and mix solutions into two bottles (macros (white) in one bottle, and micros (brown) in another), and either mix one or two doses per ounce, and dose one or 1/2 ounce. With three CO2/EI tanks, I find that dosing with solutions is a little less messy and cut my dosing time per day from a whopping two minutes to a little under a minute

If you look, you'll find references to GH Booster, which many people use in place of K2SO4. GH Booster includes some K2SO4 as well as calcium, magnesium, and sometimes manganese and iron. The K, Ca, and Mg are the big ones. This may or may not be of use to you depending on your tapwater parameters.

Oh, and this is EI dosing, which assumes you're doing 50% water changes weekly. If that's not the case, you'll need to reduce the doses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

do I mix each measurement up in a cup or do I just dump it in? Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Plant Clown

Either way. Some people prefer to mix, some are lazy. I mixed before I got lazy, and then made solutions when I got really lazy. The micros take a little longer to dissolve, and the GH booster takes the longest. But they'll dissolve just sitting on the substrate as long as there's some water flow, and fish will spit out chunks that they're too stupid to realize aren't food. Never had any deaths due to that, even with the really greedy jerks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so,I dose ferts 3 times a week?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

if you have good plant mass and growth and good co2, yeah... 3 times a week should work out great. if you're running a non-co2 tank. then 1 time weekly should more than take care of your fert needs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Usually you dose the nitrate and phosphate one day and the micros the following day as phosphate can bind with iron to make an insoluble salt.

I spoon N and P into a pill minder alternating days with the micro mix and dose when I feed the fish. Keeps me from forgetting to do it as no way I forget to feed the fish!

I dump into the sump or you could dump into a HOB easily or into a small bowl you keep with the ferts and swirl with a little water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Usually you dose the nitrate and phosphate one day and the micros the following day as phosphate can bind with iron to make an insoluble salt.

I spoon N and P into a pill minder alternating days with the micro mix and dose when I feed the fish. Keeps me from forgetting to do it as no way I forget to feed the fish!

I dump into the sump or you could dump into a HOB easily or into a small bowl you keep with the ferts and swirl with a little water.
Agreed. Don't dose CSM+b and KH2PO4 together. The water will cloud and some of your iron will become unavailable to your plants.

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Plant Clown

I've never noticed a bad reaction when dosing together, maybe 15-30 seconds apart. No clouds, good growth. I'd never store them together, wet or dry, but the immediate dilution of the ferts when dumping them in the tank seems to keep any precipitation from occurring.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode