I am converting from liquid to dry ferts...I think. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am converting from liquid to dry ferts...I think.

So i am looking for a cheaper option now that i am almost all out of seachem dry ferts. and came across a place i can order some from!

Now for some questions:

Are these all the ferts i need or should i get more? Maybe there is one in here i don't need?
1 lbs. KNO3
1 lbs. KH2PO4
1 lbs. KHCO3
1 lbs. CaCl2
1 lbs. K2S04
1 lbs. MgSO4∑7H2O

And then there is this one that is also offered for 3x the price of the ones above do you think i will need this as well or what?
Plantex CSM+B - Mirco nutrients essential for healthy plant growth and survival.

So last question for now is:
How much and how often do i dose?
I have 2x DIY CO2 diffused though the canister filter, 2x 24 watt T5 HO lights, flourite substrate and the works. I have 0 algae in the tank atm, and would love it to stay that way, which is why i am hesitant about switching from my fert line now to another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Retired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

kno3 (k+n)
kh2po4 (k+p)
csm+b (micros)

this covers NPK + micros

if you have severe soft water you might need Ca + Mg, too. if you weren't using seachem equilibrium, you probably don't need them, anyway. plus... mgso4-7h2o is just epsom salts you can get at any pharmacy for way cheaper.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have VERY hard water so i suppose CA + Mg.
So what does mgso4-07h2o stand for, If it is just epsom salts then why would i even really need to add it? I thought salt was bad to add to planted aquariums?

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So you think that all i may need is:

kno3 (k+n)
kh2po4 (k+p)
csm+b (micros)

???

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Algae Grower

it stands for magnesium sulphate heptahydrate... which happens to be epsom salts and is safe for consumption and happens to supply magnesium (Mg).

when we think of "salt" we think of sodium chloride (nacl) or table salt. in chemistry salt would be an ionic compound created by reacting an acid with a base. in broader terms, salt refers to a crystaline compound. in essence, all of our fertilizers are salts when in dry, pure form.

yes... kno3 (potassium nitrate), kh2po4 (potassium phosphate) and csm is likely all you'd need and covers your macros (N [nitrogen or nitrates]),P [phosphorous or phosphates]+K [potassium]) and micros [a bunch of other compounds (salts) we need very little of individually].
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I have VERY hard water so i suppose CA + Mg.
So what does mgso4-07h2o stand for, If it is just epsom salts then why would i even really need to add it? I thought salt was bad to add to planted aquariums?
KNO3, KH2PO4, etc are all salts

edit: oops, beaten by dundadundun

-VeeSe

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
once you get the ferts listed, just follow along with this thread

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html

Great fert method

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode