Doing 50% WC twice per week... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Doing 50% WC twice per week...

Is there any sanity in this? My tank is way over stocked with fish and plant load. My BBA is slowly creeping in on some crypts since they have been only in the tank for less than 3 weeks. However, they are doing fine with many new growth. All of my macros and micros are good. CO2 level is at lime green towards yellow by the end of the lighting cycle. 8 hours lighting period. I am even dosing Excel at the recommended dosage at the moment.

I also age my water and so stressing the fish isn't my concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
What is your question? Are you asking if it is OK to do 2x 50% WC? If so, it is more than ok and will not hurt your fish. Obviously it will mean that you need to dose a little more since you'll be stripping it back.

What kinds of light do you have? Do your best to manually remove the bba and treat with peroxide or excel and kinda do your best to fight it back. Once established it is very hard to get rid of through anything but force.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
What is your question? Are you asking if it is OK to do 2x 50% WC? If so, it is more than ok and will not hurt your fish. Obviously it will mean that you need to dose a little more since you'll be stripping it back.

What kinds of light do you have? Do your best to manually remove the bba and treat with peroxide or excel and kinda do your best to fight it back. Once established it is very hard to get rid of through anything but force.
Just curious how many people here would do 2 50% WC per week to deal with the algae issue. I have a 2 bulbs T5HO light fixture. 80w on a 40g tank. I think my excessive bio load is the main issue. I have been using purigen for 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks, I actually didn't notice any new BBA growing on the leaves. By the 3rd week, they seem to be spreading. I checked the color on the purigen, they are slightly dark brown. Not sure if I need to replace them or to recharge them. I will try to do 2 50% WC to see things would improve a bit.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
That is a pretty significant light level on a 40 gallon tank. Is it a breeder? Because then it is even more as they are so short. BBA doesn't go away unless you kill it. Water changes will reduce organics, but I'd bet your bba isn't necessarily from that.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It will help, and if you have algae or simply want to really stay on top of things, not a bad idea.

If it's a NEW tank, then 2-3x a week is best.
I do every 3rd day pretty much, 60-80% when I have new tank that's not filled in yet or any algae issue.

Excel can help.

Lime green drop checkers may or may NOT be enough CO2, this is typically a 30ppm set point, but could be easily 10ppm +/- outside this range.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
That is a pretty significant light level on a 40 gallon tank. Is it a breeder? Because then it is even more as they are so short. BBA doesn't go away unless you kill it. Water changes will reduce organics, but I'd bet your bba isn't necessarily from that.
The light is already 4" above the water surface. The tank height is 16". I have acrylic sheets cover the tank. I think the light is good since I actually have problems getting light to reach to some lower leaves of my Temple plants. I will try to do the 2 50% WC and continue to add Excel at the recommended dosage for 2 weeks to see if things would improve. If not, I may have to double dose my Excel. That's something I try to avoid since I have a lot of crypts in my tank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
It will help, and if you have algae or simply want to really stay on top of things, not a bad idea.

If it's a NEW tank, then 2-3x a week is best.
I do every 3rd day pretty much, 60-80% when I have new tank that's not filled in yet or any algae issue.

Excel can help.

Lime green drop checkers may or may NOT be enough CO2, this is typically a 30ppm set point, but could be easily 10ppm +/- outside this range.
The tank is about 4 months old. About a month ago I uprooted 2 huge 27" Amazon Swords and completely rescaped half of my tank. I can try to increase my CO2 up to yellow by the mid day.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
The tank is about 4 months old. About a month ago I uprooted 2 huge 27" Amazon Swords and completely rescaped half of my tank. I can try to increase my CO2 up to yellow by the mid day.
Well, removing 2 massive plants will do it.

I'd just dose after the water change, crank the CO2 slowly and watch fish, make sure everything is clean, toothbrush excel on any non live materials during the water change etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How much CO2 can shrimp tolerate? I ask because I had mine much higher than it is now and my fish were fine but all the shrimp died. I just recently added some crayfish and will be adding more shrimp soon and I would like more CO2 in the tank but not at the risk to my inverts. My drop checker is a pretty solid green. Not dark but not a lime green either. Before it was lime green/yellow.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I run 45-55ppm of CO2 in my 120 Gal Dutch tank.........I must have 500-1000 Fire shrimp and cull 50 a week or more. There are also about 100 Amano shrimp in there also. Might be due to poor O2 also, good current helps.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
How much CO2 can shrimp tolerate? I ask because I had mine much higher than it is now and my fish were fine but all the shrimp died. I just recently added some crayfish and will be adding more shrimp soon and I would like more CO2 in the tank but not at the risk to my inverts. My drop checker is a pretty solid green. Not dark but not a lime green either. Before it was lime green/yellow.

Shrimps??? They can died for so many reasons. I think the consensus is that you should slowly acclimate the shrimps into the tank with lower CO2 first. Of course, if you are trying to fight off algae, any reduction of CO2 would be a problem. I even have my entire 20+ Amano shrimps died on me when CO2 wasn't even turned on at night.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Well...I am pretty sure I gassed them because I was turning up the CO2 a little everyday using the fish as a guide. I got it to the point they started swimming at the surface gasping and then I turned it back a bit. That's when I noticed the shrimp were dead. I just wondered if they were more sensitive to CO2. I mean what happened to them was my fault, had I not gotten to the point where the fish were gasping they might still be around...who knows. I just don't want to chance the crayfish in there now...those bugs aren't cheap...lol
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
As long as the plants have what they need doing extra water changes is only going to help with BBA. Maxing co2 will help but it's benefit is limited by how much plant mass you have, removing organics via water change, carbon, etc has no limit. Look at new tanks, why are water changes performed so frequently? Any ammonia not processed by a immature biofilter is probably going to cause problems. Having exceptionally clean water organic wise will always give you more wiggle room with light and stock.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

While independent, ADA, myself, most every breeder you speak with, and most of the top scapers all do large frequent water changes.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
As has been said above, frequent large water changes are considered the norm on new tanks, especially those using substrate that leech ammonia.

I also tend to not boil new driftwood, so I do 50+% water changes every 1-2 days during the first couple of weeks to help reduce the tannins on the water.

Lately I do a double 60+% WC (mathematically equivalent to a 84% water change) every 6-7 days as I'm still tweaking my lighting and dosing. I'm on my 4th week of doing this now, and all of my inhabitants seem are doing well (if not enjoying it!) -- 23 no-entry hinomaru CRS, 20+ RCS, 24+ amanos, 40+ nannostomus pencils, 20+ p. gertrudae aru II's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode